Removing items from the USS Oriskany (interesting dilemma)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A comment on the idea that some NJ divers are interested in taking souvenirs from wrecks:

First of all, I have never dived in NJ, and I only know a couple of people who have. I did grow up nearby, and I visit annually, and I know better than to cast gross generalizations.

I did, however, read two interesting books on the topic: The last Dive and Shadow Divers. Reading those two books gives a pretty clear indication that some prominent divers and dive clubs in that area have a "take whatever you can" attitude toward wrecks.

Moreover, my understanding of the tone of the two books indicates that both authors see nothing wrong with this. Bernie Chowdhury (The Last Dive) calls the obsession with getting whatever you can "Artifact Fever," and he does not mind admitting that he has it, too. Parts of Shadow Divers describe the competition between rival charter companies and dive clubs to get to these artifacts and take them before someone else can get them.

boulderjohn:
A comment on the idea that some NJ divers are interested in taking souvenirs from wrecks:

First of all, I have never dived in NJ, and I only know a couple of people who have. I did grow up nearby, and I visit annually, and I know better than to cast gross generalizations.

I did, however, read two interesting books on the topic: The last Dive and Shadow Divers. Reading those two books gives a pretty clear indication that some prominent divers and dive clubs in that area have a "take whatever you can" attitude toward wrecks.

Moreover, my understanding of the tone of the two books indicates that both authors see nothing wrong with this. Bernie Chowdhury (The Last Dive) calls the obsession with getting whatever you can "Artifact Fever," and he does not mind admitting that he has it, too. Parts of Shadow Divers describe the competition between rival charter companies and dive clubs to get to these artifacts and take them before someone else can get them.

Actually I had the same thoughts in response to this...

I've never dove in the NorthEast but the books I've read about the area seem to tell a story of the main purpose the divers in that area have of diving those wrecks is to "get china".

Read "Deep Descent". it's about diving the Andrea Doria and the 'drive' for brining up china and artifacts and the accidents/deaths that have been caused by those with "china fever".

Surely you guys jest. This couldn't POSSIBLY be true based on the postings of "solo diver in nj". Charter operators wouldn't stand for it... :shakehead

I think one issue is missing in this thread. The lack of "RESPECT" for the men and women that fought and died for this country freedom. I understand that men did die on this ship. /www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-o/cv34.htm "Tragedy struck the carrier on 26 October 1966, during her second Vietnam War deployment, when fire ravaged her forward compartments, killing 44 members of her crew and air group" I dont think that the men that were on this ship would be happy knowing that people are Stealing things off this ship. I read some where that a few veterans were not happy about this ship becoming a reef. Now to me because of these men and other we have the right to dive and enjoy the ocean in freedom. Men died on this ship which TO ME it makes it a "National Treasure". Thanks Guys Ill get off me box now. Mark Next is The USS Arizona good stuff on that ship....

mdmbike to scuba:
I think one issue is missing in this thread. The lack of "RESPECT" for the men and women that fought and died for this country freedom. I understand that men did die on this ship. /www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-o/cv34.htm "Tragedy struck the carrier on 26 October 1966, during her second Vietnam War deployment, when fire ravaged her forward compartments, killing 44 members of her crew and air group" I dont think that the men that were on this ship would be happy knowing that people are Stealing things off this ship. I read some where that a few veterans were not happy about this ship becoming a reef. Now to me because of these men and other we have the right to dive and enjoy the ocean in freedom. Men died on this ship which TO ME it makes it a "National Treasure". Thanks Guys Ill get off me box now. Mark Next is The USS Arizona good stuff on that ship....
T hat is an intersting remark because It's my understanding that the USS Arizona is a no dive spot. But I wouldn't want to it's like hallowed ground and I wouldn't want to disturb the waters around the ship. The USS Arizona is just like sacred, and why isn't this wreck given that same level of aww...
Heres my question how many wrecks out there have we lost lifes of AMERICAN SOLDIERS or SEAMAN?

I'm sure there are lots or wrecks that our men have died on. I'm not saying that its ok to dive on or near the USS AZ just that if they take stuff from USS O then whats next USS AZ. Each ship that these men died on should have our RESPECT. Theat that ship with respect. That all I'm saying. Stealing is not respecting these men...

mdmbike to scuba:
I read some where that a few veterans were not happy about this ship becoming a reef.

I suspect their attitude is not universal among their shipmates. What would they prefer happening to the ship once it is no longer in service?

I remember reading the opposite attitude from some people who served proudly on the Spiegel Grove. They were saddened to find it rotting away uselessly, awaiting its final destruction. They helped with the process of getting it into the reef mode, feeling that in its final resting place it was serving a purpose and could be visited and enjoyed by others. I saw one web site by a man who loved the ship and followed its progress as it was cleaned and towed to Florida, and you could not help but feel his joy as the moment of the sinking approached.

True John, Some thought its was a good idea other did feel the same. I just respect both side. I just look at like its a living museum. Mark

brutus_scuba:
T hat is an intersting remark because It's my understanding that the USS Arizona is a no dive spot. But I wouldn't want to it's like hallowed ground and I wouldn't want to disturb the waters around the ship. The USS Arizona is just like sacred, and why isn't this wreck given that same level of aww...
Heres my question how many wrecks out there have we lost lifes of AMERICAN SOLDIERS or SEAMAN?

The USS Airzona, when sunk, took 1,177 lives with it. I'm glad that its honor has been protected to honor those who served on her.

brutus_scuba:
It's my understanding that the USS Arizona is a no dive spot?

that is correct. the Arizona is a National Memorial site, run by the National Park
Service. It is also considered a war grave, and there are human remains in it to this day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom