Remove Diesel Fuel From Regs & BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem with fuel is that it actually impregnates into the plastic. You can't rinse it off. Replace the seconds. Otherwise she is likely to be breathing the residue from now on. As for the BC, unless it's one made for public safety diving that can be decontaminated, it's toast. Dispose of as hazardous waste.

The problem with fuel is that it actually impregnates into the plastic. You can't rinse it off. Replace the seconds. Otherwise she is likely to be breathing the residue from now on. As for the BC, unless it's one made for public safety diving that can be decontaminated, it's toast. Dispose of as hazardous waste.
Jim,

This is the course we came up with too. I gave her a great deal on a Scuba Pro MK25/620Ti. We were just hoping for that secret method that is not well known out there. :)

try Go-Jo hand cleaner from your local auto parts store.. After all its made for greasy, oiley and fuely auto shops, dont get the abrasive kind, just the regular kind, it smells good too. may be worth a try.

As Jim said, the issue is that fuel impregnates plastic. I once had a reg come to me with a similar issue. Even after soaking in hot soapy water and hot water with baking soda it still had the faint smell of fuel. In the end the reg got tossed.

I agree replace it by insurance on homeowner's policy

There are enzyme cleaners that eat diesel, sold in chandleries as bilge/engine cleaners for this purpose. And as the shampoo bottle says: Lather, rinse, repeat.

There's no one-shot to get rid of diesel stink.

Use the best soaps, the best enzyme, soak overnight, let it air and dry in the sun during the day, repeat. It still may take two weeks to get diesel out of plastic pieces. I would also start by stripping down whatever can be taken apart, and if there are service parts like o-rings? Throw the old ones out, replace with new once the rest of the stink is gone.

Liquid Tide is very good at dissolving most things, even old Cosmoline. But it still took me two weeks of daily cleaning to get the whiff of diesel out of kevlar gloves.

An ozone generator can also help--but ozone also attacks rubbers and plastics.

Being in the auto repair business ive grown very unaccustomed to Diesel smell I own two diesel powered trucks to boot. A citrus cleaner will probably be your best shot however its also hard one natural products.

The best masking soap ive found is lavender shampoo it will remove fish oils and smells from cloth seats even. Covers diesel pretty well.

Things like brake cleaner carb cleaner at really not that great for cleaning fuel and oils but citrus cleaner will. We have dropped them and now us citrus cleaners in place of it for years. Some are not as strong as others so if one doesn’t work well try another brand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom