Remove Diesel Fuel From Regs & BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have a good customer who had a boat capsize on her and dump diesel fuel in the water and all over her dive gear. It seems to have impregnated the plastic housings of her second stages and of course the fabric of her BCD. We have tried Blue Gold in a hyper sonic cleaner, but the second stages still smell of the fuel. She is trying sunlight on the BCD.

Any suggestion that might help her. She bought all new gear, but wanted to keep this gear as backup.

Have you discussed applying a lighter to the affected gear? :)

Dawn dish soap is a good idea, as are things like Fast Orange.

If that fails, test brake cleaner, and use Dawn and your sonic cleaner to remove that- on the hard plastic parts only.

Don’t substitute Palmolive dish soap, the perfumes from that product also stink up plastic container and materials.

Don’t use brake cleaner as it damages plastic. A detergent would be the best option. Like others suggested I would try dish soap

Don’t use brake cleaner as it damages plastic. A detergent would be the best option. Like others suggested I would try dish soap
Depends on the plastic. Some hard plastics won't be damaged, but that's why I said test first. I've used brake cleaners on plastic components before without damage.

Although if it survives the detergents, the fuel is likely bonded to the plastic and will never come out.

My experience with sailboats and diesel leaks onto cushions and other fabrics...

It never comes out.

Sometimes when I do fuel filter changes, the smell permeates my clothes. I used to try several times in the washer, but then the washer ends up smelling and the clothes still reek and have to be tossed. Now, I am just ultra careful not to spill fuel and I wear latex gloves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom