Remote (shoulder) exhaust valve??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wunat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As a standard, DiveRite wings comes with a (shoulder) exhaust valve on the inflator. I remember that I once read on some DIR thread(s) that it is not DIR but don't recall the reason why it isn't. Or is it just some misunderstanding? :06:

Thanks a ton.

It's an added failure point for one thing. Also, it's unneeded.

The dump valve is considered a potential point of failure.

By the way, Dive Rite will sell you any of their wings with a simple elbow instead of the dump valve.

Christian

PLEASE forgive my ignorance guys, though i cant say i am DIR as im not that far into my gear yet! i do dive with the dive-rite back plate and rec wing, (my question) if you remove the shoulder dump as it being a falier then does that also say that the bottom dump is also a bad point in the unit as well, my old bc (sherwood avid) had a dump on the inflator as well as a dump on the othere shoulder and i became very much an avid user of the left side shoulder dump and realy miss it on the new bc

headhunter:
By the way, Dive Rite will sell you any of their wings with a simple elbow instead of the dump valve.

When I got my my RecWing, I have no awareness at all in regards to DIR. I have already ordered and received and simple non-exhaust elbow from DiveRiteExpress. Will have it replace the standard remote exhaust valve soon.

I have to agree that the remote exhaust valve is not needed since I have never use it in any of my 100+ dives with it.

Thank you all for the explanation.

Ciao, :D

jim ernst:
PLEASE forgive my ignorance guys, though i cant say i am DIR as im not that far into my gear yet! i do dive with the dive-rite back plate and rec wing, (my question) if you remove the shoulder dump as it being a falier then does that also say that the bottom dump is also a bad point in the unit as well, my old bc (sherwood avid) had a dump on the inflator as well as a dump on the othere shoulder and i became very much an avid user of the left side shoulder dump and realy miss it on the new bc
Hi Jim,

I should have specified that the problem was not that it was a dump valve, but a pull dump where you have to yank on the entire inflator hose to release air from the wing. The lower exhaust valve is just fine.

I dive the same back plate and wing that you do and am planning to replace the pull dump with an elbow and a shorter hose.

It's kind of funny, but I had been diving the rec wing for quite a while before I realized that this was a pull dump and only because someone asked me about it. I've never used it and have always used the lower dump except at surface when I've always used the button on the end of the inflator hose.

If I had it to do over again, I would choose a different wing. When I double up a pair of AL80s, I'm hoping that this is a good wing for those, but we'll see. I've got the pair of AL80s ready to double, but still need to get bands, a manifold and a DIN 1st stage. I'll eventually get another wing for singles.

Christian

Just like HEADHUNTER said, I have had problems with a shoulder dump valve. It is for that reason that I never use either dump valve. I simply raise the hose and release, most divers my age have been dumping that way for the last 35 years. It works and doesn't risk damage to your wing.

headhunter:
Hi Jim,

I should have specified that the problem was not that it was a dump valve, but a pull dump where you have to yank on the entire inflator hose to release air from the wing. The lower exhaust valve is just fine.

I dive the same back plate and wing that you do and am planning to replace the pull dump with an elbow and a shorter hose.

It's kind of funny, but I had been diving the rec wing for quite a while before I realized that this was a pull dump and only because someone asked me about it. I've never used it and have always used the lower dump except at surface when I've always used the button on the end of the inflator hose.

If I had it to do over again, I would choose a different wing. When I double up a pair of AL80s, I'm hoping that this is a good wing for those, but we'll see. I've got the pair of AL80s ready to double, but still need to get bands, a manifold and a DIN 1st stage. I'll eventually get another wing for singles.

Christian
ok, i see now and yes i also dont like that pull dump!! thank you very much for explaining this to me, i dooo miss my shoulder dump on the left side!!!

I just ordered two replacement elbows for my Dual Rec Wing from DiveRite Express also. I had actually called them about something else and when I mentioned that I owned a Rec Wing, they specifically asked what kind of valves were on it. They told me that it is a point of failure and highly recommended replacing them. I believe the kit was like $9.00 and here is a link to the instructions that they offer on replacing it yourself. http://www.diveriteexpress.com/library/elbows.shtml I too had never once used the dump valve anyway.

David

wunat:
As a standard, DiveRite wings comes with a (shoulder) exhaust valve on the inflator. I remember that I once read on some DIR thread(s) that it is not DIR but don't recall the reason why it isn't. Or is it just some misunderstanding? :06:

Thanks a ton.

Because you might pull and then it come apart on you then you have:
1. a hole where the inflator was...
2. and no way to inflate the wing

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom