Remote AI computer failure poll

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kayakguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Well I am learning to dive again, after 15 years. My wife is getting certified for the first time. I would like to keep this relatively simple(not likely).

My local shop owner and instructor has had three complete failures at depth(over 100') with this setup. He has switched to the Wisdom AI and is recommending that to me. I like the look of the wisdom but a wrist mount would be easier, and a cleaner setup.

I do not think that I will use an spg backup, if the computer fails, the dive is over. I for one like that my car has anti-lock brakes and airbags, so I believe technology is a useful tool. I also realize that my brain is the best computer. I have also searched for this info, but have not returned much info of value.

Now that is all out of the way... Who has actually had a remote AI computer completely fail to send. I don't mean just for a few seconds I mean fail completely, and not due to a battery.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

I went 'gauge less' and use only my Wireless AI Suunto D9. It's never failed. And for recreational diving profiles you should always have a 'clue' as to how much air you have left.

If it were to fail I would end the dive like you mentioned, ascend slowly, and suck the tank dry at 15 feet.

Cheers and welcome to the dark realm of no redundant gauges.

-J.-

Have one, no fail.

Had (and still have) multiple and they never failed completely -- yes there was some interruptions but never a complete failure of the wireless link

I have a D9 and it's never failed. It once interrupted for about 10 seconds, the alarm went off and then it reconected.

Vytex since 2003, D9 since 2005. Never had an issue with either in over 300 dives.

I wear both the D9 and the Vytec on dives, one transmitter sends to both.

My Smart Z has never lost connection underwater. I do have a backup analog guage on my left hip though. My watch is a depth guage, but I do not always wear it.

500+ dives on a 1999 Oceanic Data Trans Plus. No link loss to date, much less a failure.

About 100 dives on a Wireless AI Uwatec SmartTec. Seems to lose link for a couple of seconds about once per dive, then syncs back up no problem. I have a redundant SPG but I have never actually NEEDED it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom