Shearwater Computers Linked to Same Transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem with "pairing" is that it most often is used for BT connections to set up a rwo-way link. So it's connotations are wrong for the broadcast-receive system.

Technically, I think the right terminology is "matched filtering." All the transmissions are on the same frequency -- i.e., channel -- and but (hopefully) do not all occur at the same time, otherwise they interfere with each other and can't be decoded.q (This is the problem the Swift tries to00000000000000000000000000000000 solve by not transmitting if it hears another transmission in progress.) Because the receiver (computer) is hearing everything, it has to decode everything, but when the decoded SN matches the one it is looking for, it displays the data.
6EC26214-AB0A-4C5B-9ECE-A207CC65ED82.gif

Underthinking: the art of ignoring problems that really are there. :wink:

Technically, I think the right terminology is "matched filtering."
No, matched filtering is a technique normally used to identify the frequency band containing the signal out of a larger range of frequencies (the noise). MF is effectively hitting the "scan" button on your car's radio. You've already correctly stated there is only a single frequency.

I would say the multiple receivers either "parse" the broadcasted signal or that they "decode" the signal. The "code" is conceptually rather simple: the serial # followed by data of interest. (I'm sure the actual scheme is more complex.)

Of those two terms, I think "decode" is the better term.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom