Remember the Y2K bug?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

philmayer

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've got the Y2010 bug!

Using v2.2.3 of Oceanlog, I downloaded today's dives from my Atom 2.0.

At first I couldn't figure out why my dives weren't downloading...........until I realized the dives were downloading, and they were the very first dives in my log! I didn't realize today was Jan 1, 2000 until Oceanlog told me so! :rofl3:

Yes, the date in my Atom says today is Jan 1, 2010.

I've got the Y2010 bug!

Using v2.2.3 of Oceanlog, I downloaded today's dives from my Atom 2.0.

At first I couldn't figure out why my dives weren't downloading...........until I realized the dives were downloading, and they were the very first dives in my log! I didn't realize today was Jan 1, 2000 until Oceanlog told me so! :rofl3:

Yes, the date in my Atom says today is Jan 1, 2010.

Too funny.
I told Oceanic about this issue about 9 months ago and even outlined a workaround in hopes they'd work it into their software release schedule.
The issue is how the year is reported within the dive summary entries of the download logbook, which is a different logbook from the logbook you view on the LCD using the logbook/history function.
I stumbled across it as I was cracking their download protocol for the Aeris models.
Different Pelagic models report the year in different ways.
Some of the models do not report more than the last digit of the year in their dive summaries for years beyond 2009. Some report the 10's digit up to a value of 3
(which gets you to 2039) but the information is not being interpreted correctly by the PC s/w.

Anyway, while not pretty, it can be worked around in the PC software.

Luckily on the few models I've seen so far that don't report the years 10's digit in
their dive summary at all, the information is available in the actual dive profile information.
It is somewhat of a pain to work around in the PC software because since the information is not available in the dive summary information, you actually have to download the dive profile information (or least part of it) to get the year information.

All these funky internal details/limitations can be hidden from the users through some smarter software that handles the downloading in a slightly different way from they way it is done today.

--- bill

My Atmos ai has the same problem... but my XR2 does not. I dove both computers this past New Years Eve.

Back
Top Bottom