Relocating to South Florida / Keys area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SheilaRee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello Everyone,

I'm sure I'm not the first nor the last to reinvent my life and relocate to an exotic locale. I'm looking to relocate to South Florida / or the Keys area in about 2 1/2 years. My only sibling is in Big Pine Key, Fl., lives the life, etc. My only problem: I'm not at retirement age and would like to be closer to some big stores, hospitals, and good schools. Anyone with this experience and advice? Will be looking for a nursing position but will have a middle schooler to consider in community activities, sports, schools, churches, etc. Most important, my middle schooler will be my future dive partner, as well. We need to be close to the ocean and the Keys (if we don't choose the keys). All advice and past experiences are welcome. Thanks in advance!

With a middle schooler all you really need to know about the middle keys is that the Monroe county school district really sucks. At least the teachers tell me so, I don't have kids. One of my very good friends, a 6th grade science teacher is routinely cursed at by her students when they are told to stop texting in class. The administration backs the parents and students. She is so upset she will leave here to go back to where she came from after living here and teaching 12 years.

With a middle schooler all you really need to know about the middle keys is that the Monroe county school district really sucks. At least the teachers tell me so, I don't have kids. One of my very good friends, a 6th grade science teacher is routinely cursed at by her students when they are told to stop texting in class. The administration backs the parents and students. She is so upset she will leave here to go back to where she came from after living here and teaching 12 years.

And just where do you suppose it's any different? It's MIDDLE SCHOOL!!

I am also trying to relocate there, Have the house, But it is number 2 and like you I can not retire yet.
Marathon, is most likely where you want to look. It is very close to Big pine, has a Kmart, Home depot, beals and maybe most important to you, Fishermans hospital. Good luck

Highflier

You can be in the upper Keys in a bit over an hour's drive from south Broward County. That covers a heckuva lot of territory, two additional public school districts, some pretty good private schools and charter schools, double digit community centers, and maybe a dozen hospitals.

I really hate to be this blunt, and at the risk of offending other readers - with the other options available, I wouldn't raise a kid in the Keys. You also need to take a serious look at what it costs to live there.

If you make the jump, good luck. Everyone deserves a chance to follow their dream...

Reactions: Jax
And just where do you suppose it's any different? It's MIDDLE SCHOOL!!
I don't know, man. But if I'd told a teacher to f- off to her face, I'd still be in traction. WE didn't do that in middle school, and it shouldn't be acceptable today. I would expect its different in a place where education is valued and teachers are respected. That isn't Marathon. It doesn't take much of an education to be a crackhead or fisherman...... Florida keys, the end of the road in oh so many ways.

Although some may not consider it South Florida, I recently purchased a 2nd home in St Lucie County over on the east coast. I am approximately 2 hours south of Orlando, 1.5 hours north of Fort Lauderdale and about 3.5 hours from Tavernier/Islamorada where I like to dive when in the Keys. The area is much nicer than the Keys as far as infrastructure is concerned and I don't think you have to worry about getting "island fever" which I have been told about. We were able to secure a home at a very reasonable price, much less than it would cost to build and it is in a gated community. Choose wisely but if you want to be closer to your sibling then it sounds like the Keys it is for you. I am not sure about the school district but you can do a search for Port St. Lucie Florida Schools. Good luck.

I've been going to the Upper Keys about once a month for the last six years to dive so I've got a couple of cents worth. If you like flat sandy ground, one decent road, high prices and taxes, hot weather (and I mean hot) and a bunch of alcoholic bums running around, you'll like the Upper Keys. Since there's no ocean in Ohio, I'm stuck with it.

We have been here 6 years now and to us it is fantastic. Miami and all that it includes is an hour away.
The Upper Keys schools are well received by the parents who actually send their children there.
Now things are more expensive but "paradise aint cheap". Good luck with your move

ar
We have been here 6 years now and to us it is fantastic. Miami and all that it includes is an hour away.
The Upper Keys schools are well received by the parents who actually send their children there.
Now things are more expensive but "paradise aint cheap". Good luck with your move

i have resided here 24 years and i couldn't agree more with the above quote. by the way my taxes this year are $2200, on a concrete stilt home on a salt water canal, minutes from the ocean(purchased 1993). florida residents primary home is eligible for the homestead exemption tax which limits tax increases. fuel prices in key largo are lower or comparable to dade county and the supermaket chain prices are identicle to dade and broward county stores. i cant speak for schools south of islamorada, but in the upper keys they are all highly rated and get high marks from parents, students and the state. i agree fully with wookie in that the monroe county school board and administators have been dysfunctional to say the least, the past few years, but what school system in the USA isn't? yesterday, a 45 minute boat ride; from my dock to carysfort reef for terrific diving(molasses only 15/20 min). the upper keys: not exactly utopia(insurance rates for dwellings are outrageous for example), however, for me, life is good here,,,,,

reefman
key largo

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom