Religion and scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't criticize Rich, he is on your side, phoenix :).

FYI, I am not a christian at all but I never fight between good and evil.

I do not need a god in order to try to do good. I have my own judgement and since I know that I have only one life in order to contribute to our race, I am trying to do good things for my familly and neibours.

To think that you can commit bad things and ask God to forgive you is just a very cowardly behaviour. I know of too many "catholics" that beat their wifes and kids while drunk and cheat on people and the governement taxes to know that a religion is not a "certification for honesty". But do not interpret this statement wrongly: I know of very commendable christians :)

You my friend... Are the best human I know if you've never been tempted to do something wrong... Or never did something wrong in your life...

I posted earlier that people use religion as an excuse at times, from doing bad things because they think they'll be forgiven to saying religion is the cause of evil... So kill religion and the world will be a much much better place...

Some have an easier fight than others... And I use fight loosely... The fact is you choose to do good... Just as you could choose to do bad...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a "first order approximation", they most certainly are.

This is why I so enjoy the occasional off-topic (diving) potboiler.

We are a self-selected group with strong convictions. My simplistic view stood for decades as it just wasn't important enough to me to waste time exploring it further. I pride myself in the fact that I actually remembered some details of the First Crusade from high school. I enjoy both sides of the argument, allows me to refine my "understanding" of the subject and improve my stance.
The Crusades were prompted by a number of factors. As Islam grew more powerful and spread eastward into India and even parts of China the old overland trade routes used by Europeans, the 'Silk Road', became almost inaccessible. This, along with the obvious religious objections to having Muslims controlling the Holy Land, were major causative factors for the Crusades.

The Crusades failed, and Europeans were forced to look for alternate routes to China and the Indies.

Enter Columbus and many others who knew the world was round but underestimated its size. A circumference of 15,000 miles was their best guess. They failed to factor in the Western Hemisphere.

Columbus, searching for that sea route to the Indies, happens upon the Western Hemisphere, propelling Europe into a trajectory that will lead to world domination.

A delicious irony.

Dfx, the churches position is not only not to use them, but also not to have sex. It seems your opinion is that atrocities are religious but social welfare isn't, and that when people have unprotected sex it's the churches fault but when they abstain it isn't.

Again, I'm not trying to argue faults of religion, they are legion (again pun intended). However, I think ignoring the amazing amount of good done by religion is a huge disservice to a huge amount of people around the world that are doing vast amounts of good to their fellow man. You, however, don't want to seem to acknowledge that.

Is religion invloved in atrocities, sure. But let's not just gloss over hundreds of millions of people doing amazingly kind things please. I've seen these people give till they're broke and work till they bleed to help their communities. They deserve a modicum of respect.

Dfx, the churches position is not only not to use them, but also not to have sex. It seems your opinion is that atrocities are religious but social welfare isn't, and that when people have unprotected sex it's the churches fault but when they abstain it isn't.
You obviously didn't read or didn't understand the first reply I gave to you about this, so I'll only briefly reiterate. The question whether somebody or some organisation is religious or not when they do something (whether good or bad) is immaterial. The important question is whether religion was a necessary prerequisite for what was done. I haven't seen a single instance of something good being done where this was the case, but I have seen lots and lots of horrible things being done where it was.

And I won't even go into your attempted defence of the catholic doctrine of abstinence over contraceptives because it's simply ridiculous. You seem to be another prime example of how religion suspends critical thinking.

Some people actually do abstain, and it probably works for them, however small a minority they may be.

The important question is whether religion was a necessary prerequisite for what was done. I haven't seen a single instance of something good being done where this was the case, but I have seen lots and lots of horrible things being done where it was.

Many people give money, such as to churches that use it for charitable acts, who would not do so absent a belief in God. While not all Christians believe in or practice tithing, some do, and probably give more as a result that they would otherwise.

Richard.

Many people give money, such as to churches that use it for charitable acts, who would not do so absent a belief in God. While not all Christians believe in or practice tithing, some do, and probably give more as a result that they would otherwise.

Richard.

I make charitable contributions, but only to non religious organizations such as the Wounded Warrior Project.

I assume that since religious organizations have the money to build and maintain mega churches and the Vatican, they also have money to help Mankind.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

...//... A delicious irony.
:D

Very funny on two levels, yes correct. This is my view of organized religion. Has nothing at all to do with what I believe or think I believe. I rarely go there, it just doesn't matter that much to me.

Life is all about the people, here, that I interact with IRL. Leave no footprints, just take pictures. :wink:

Peace.

Lol burn the schools it's not a prequisite for learning or success... Or doing something good... But u know what if it didn't exist there wouldn't be any school shootings...

Burn cars... It's not a prequisite for transportation... Damn they cause so many accidents though...

Your premise is so flawed it's hilarious...

You obviously didn't read or didn't understand the first reply I gave to you about this, so I'll only briefly reiterate. The question whether somebody or some organisation is religious or not when they do something (whether good or bad) is immaterial. The important question is whether religion was a necessary prerequisite for what was done. I haven't seen a single instance of something good being done where this was the case, but I have seen lots and lots of horrible things being done where it was.

And I won't even go into your attempted defence of the catholic doctrine of abstinence over contraceptives because it's simply ridiculous. You seem to be another prime example of how religion suspends critical thinking.

Lol burn the schools it's not a prequisite for learning or success... Or doing something good... But u know what if it didn't exist there wouldn't be any school shootings...

Burn cars... It's not a prequisite for transportation... Damn they cause so many accidents though...

Your premise is so flawed it's hilarious...

I think if you look at the arc of history and weigh all the good things done in the name of religion against all the evil done in its name, the calculus would come out very unfavorably to your position.

Unaffiliated. None of the shoes fit. I choose to walk bare-footed.

Back
Top Bottom