Reliability of Hoseless Computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well said. I continue to walk the fence, using an analog gauge as backup. If I've spent thousands to dive the Truk wrecks I don't want to have to thumb any dive because of a failure to link.

Bryan

I don't currently use a backup SPG, but only because my Titan reg only has 1 HP port. Sometime I'll upgrade my regs (maybe in a couple years), and then I'll put the SPG on and tuck it behind my back. If I ever decide to dive Truk, I'll probably upgrade my regs before I go.

What if you're using your D9 to monitor several tanks? Given that you can't identify each on the face of the computer with a name, how do you remember which code relates to which tank? I've never tried it myself, but I know others who HAVE tried and who have ended up hopelessly confused. Translation - they made mistakes, mistakes that could be serious.

Right, but the failure point in those cases was not on their wrist...

homer%20simpson%20from%20osel_cz%20x.jpg

It causes the vast majority of dive-related problems, and unfortunatelty carrying a redundant /back-up one isn't an option.

I don't currently use a backup SPG, but only because my Titan reg only has 1 HP port. Sometime I'll upgrade my regs (maybe in a couple years), and then I'll put the SPG on and tuck it behind my back. If I ever decide to dive Truk, I'll probably upgrade my regs before I go.

You could simply add a hard tee to the HP port and stay with the regulator you have. I personally don'`t think it's needed.

SPG aren't perfect either they are only accurate on 1 point on their scale and that point may change from dive to dive. Accuracy varies from brand to brand and model to model. Even 2 matching gauges may vary wildly.

The bottom line is when it is a question of thumbing the dive because something went south whether it's the computer, some other piece of equipment or just feeling uncomfortable while under water on that particular day it's recreation and calling the dive to safeguard your life is the way to go.
It may spoil the day for you and maybe even your buddy's dive but it will allow you to spend many other days enjoying life and the sport.

I have a couple of Vytecs for my self & wife. for the first year I used the transmitter & SPG as back up. I have never had a problem with the transmitter other than replacing the battery & O ring. I disconected my SPG a few years ago & dont miss it. On the plus side. It is one less point of failure & one less hose that can get caught up or entangled on something. It used to be on a clip to by BCD, but even that is clearer now.

The wife still uses her SPG, only beacause she likes the idea & that is how she was taught to dive

As for all those beeping computers, that does not mean they have lost signal. I dive with a Vytec & Stinger as backup most of the time. I have set one up to alarm at 25m, the other at 30m. They also alarm after 30 mins, when I lead dives I usually turn round at this point. Also I have an alarm for 50Bar remaining in the tank. My transmitter has picked up somebody elses transmitter in the past. It was my buddies, we set up a few more yards apart now. Also if you jump in at slightly different times, you will know if you are reading your own tank pressure cos it will drop out before you even go diving.

You could simply add a hard tee to the HP port and stay with the regulator you have. I personally don'`t think it's needed.

SPG aren't perfect either they are only accurate on 1 point on their scale and that point may change from dive to dive. Accuracy varies from brand to brand and model to model. Even 2 matching gauges may vary wildly.

The bottom line is when it is a question of thumbing the dive because something went south whether it's the computer, some other piece of equipment or just feeling uncomfortable while under water on that particular day it's recreation and calling the dive to safeguard your life is the way to go.
It may spoil the day for you and maybe even your buddy's dive but it will allow you to spend many other days enjoying life and the sport.

Great points. By the way, I didn't know they even made HP tees. Duh. I'll have to check that out.

Hey, my 100th post!

To quote the old song from Sesame Street "One of these things is not like the other..."

Now I'm not a hoseless basher - diving a Vytec DS as I do - but hoseless does NOT reduce failure points. It INCREASES potential failure points, at a minimum by a factor of two since you're essentially replacing one piece of gear with two (transmitter + receiver)

Add to that that each of the two has various electromechanical parts which could fail, plus each has it's own battery that could fail.

The strap on the receiver could break.

The transmitter could get bumped/knocked off.

Etc.

All in all the chances of each of these failures occuring may be remote, and the net overall likelihood of a critical failure may only be marginally higher than with an SPG, and fall within acceptable limits for most divers on most dives. However, switching to hoseless does not REDUCE failure points.
- receiver has a
The failure points I was referring to is o rings. The transmitter only has one oring, whereas an analog spg has 3 i think? But in reality, o rings rarely fail if maintained, as do computers if maintained. I just listed it a a benefit, but not the main one.

Actually, there are most likely 2 orings in the wireless transmitter.
The external oring to seal to the first stage, then most likely an internal oring to seal the sensor into the body. Most Mfgrs do not make there own sensing eliments, they buy them. Most elements are just small pucks with and oring, they are held in with a retaining ring. There are some sensors that are welded in, however those are tough because heat and stresses can cause zero shifts.

Funny, look at the post by Philip Diver. Yet another failure on top-line Uwatec.

Not sure "Funny" is the right word. I think that it sucks and it's unfortunate.

Last edited:
I LOVE my Atom 2.0. It loses sync. now and then, but a quick repositioning of my wrist for a couple seconds and it's right back to business. I check the batteries the day before diving, if it registers low it gets replaced. Simple, eh?

Having all the data you want, or could want right in one small, sexy package is nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom