Reliability of Hoseless Computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have three dives on my VT3. During one I lost sync while swimming through a sunken school bus, because my hand was outside the body and MY body was inside. Brought it back to my chest and it linked right back up.

My friend uses the multiple tank system, and I don't understand how you could possibly get confused as to which tank you are looking at, at least on my(our) models.

Tank 1 is obviously yours. Tanks 2/3 are whatever you set them to. Redundant (self) or BPC (Buddy Pressure Check).

If you look at the computer and it's showing you the little picture for TANK 2, you are obviously NOT looking at your pressure. Not to mention if these people with the so-called confusion were looking at a reading off Tank 2, their buddy was either REALLY close to them, or their tank actually has the Tank 2 TMT.

My buddies loses connection to my Transmitter at about 6 feet. We are not often that close to each other.

But I can slide his computer off his retractor, hit a button, and the icon switches from TANK 1 to TANK 2 and I compare it to my reading.

If he looks at it later and sees TANK 2 (which is obvious) he switches it back to TANK 1.

It's really not complicated at all (on Oceanic's, at least) and I'm not understanding how "multiple readings" can be so confusing. I don't know of a computer that shows more than one reading at a time. All that I've seen you have to select a source, and the source is clearly identified.

If you forget which source is the cylinder you are currently attached to, that's a user error, not a failure of the device to communicate or clearly display pertinent information.

Also, if the device dies on you in the middle of the dive, you obviously didn't have it serviced properly (change battery) or didn't pay attention to the indicators of low battery life.

Of course there are more failure points with Hoseless AI. But I'll trade that any day for the convenience of diving in the same position for the entire duration. No retractors or clips or annoying hoses.

I am starting to get a little worried about all these so called failures. I dive with Suunto Vytec's AI all the time & have never had a sync problem or loss of signal whilst diving.
Also most of my buddys that dive with similar AI's have never had a problem like what is been discussed here.
All of our dives are in warm water as we reside in Asia, now starting to think that maybe the water temp where you are diving is causing you more problems than us.
The only thing I have had to do is replace the batteries in the transmitter & comp. The computer lets you know when it is needing replacing, the transmitter doesn't so I just replace both at the same time.

The very few times I lost pressure data for a few seconds was during a cold water VERY low vis dive. I think it has more to do with particulate in the water than temperature.

I am starting to get a little worried about all these so called failures. I dive with Suunto Vytec's AI all the time & have never had a sync problem or loss of signal whilst diving.
Also most of my buddys that dive with similar AI's have never had a problem like what is been discussed here.
All of our dives are in warm water as we reside in Asia, now starting to think that maybe the water temp where you are diving is causing you more problems than us.
The only thing I have had to do is replace the batteries in the transmitter & comp. The computer lets you know when it is needing replacing, the transmitter doesn't so I just replace both at the same time.

Just logged two dives yesterday, minimum temps 52 and 48 and no problems.

I know thats not REAL cold, but certainly not temperate.

My dive buddy as of late uses a Suunto Vytec DS and has never had an issue.

In the Seattle area we routinely dive in water that is 40 degrees or so, lots of nutrients. I have never had an issue with my Uwatec wrist mounted AI computers. Very reliable and much more convenient than a console for photographers.

Dan

Wife and I each own UWATEC (Galileo SOL) computers, both using the AI to monitor our own and each other's Air.

We also both have SPG's which include depth gauges and these sit firmly planted under the belt, only to be used in anger and at the 5m safety stop to compare the E version and the Old version.

To date (30 dives) we have had no failures at all on either, I am guessing they are trustworthy. We have no intention to remove out SPG's though, they are not in the way and they are a level of redundancy.

Of course if one of our computers fail, the AI "may" still work, so the buddy will have your pressure for you, another redundancy of sorts.

Also, I have a citizen dive watch, so there is a bottom timer and depth gauge, another redundancy.

I am not sure how much redundancy is excessive, I am comfortable with my redundancy, and I don't mind paying money for that degree of comfort.

Technology is something that is easy to Poo Poo if you cannot afford it (by choice or design) but lovely to be part of if you can afford it.

Am I 100% convinced that the technology will not fail ? I'd be a fool to think that. I enjoy the gadgets as a part of the experience, I have my redundancy for when I am gonna be disappointed.

Definitions of Single Point of Failure: (Quote from Wiki)

A component in a device, or a point in a network, that, if it were to fail would cause the entire device or network to fail; normally eliminated by adding redundancy

Best Regards

Riger

I always dive with redundant computers for a variety of reasons. First, sheet happens, although I have not experienced it myself. A simple fault tree analysis of hoseless computers reveals some interesting weaknesses, mainly in mounting systems. Many computers use mounting systems that are vulnerable to single point failures, such as the standard wrist band or retractor. One pin or clip failure and your computer is gone. I usually replace wrist bands so that both pins have to fail.

Most hoseless computer "failures" that I have seen are avoidable. First and foremost is a failure to check the battery, mainly due to laziness and a fear of opening up the battery compartment. If you wait until your computer gives you a low battery warning, you may be toast. I periodically check my batteries with an independent meter, especially before extended dive trips. Second is the ability of these buggers to vanish into thin air. I don't know anyone who has lost a computer that is connected to their regulator, but hoseless computers seem to have an ability to disappear and then reappear in the strangest places, like eBay.

Its also good to understand the relative calibration of your computer. It doesn't hurt to compare pressure readings between an independent gage, computer and SPG every time you connect a tank. I don't trust any of them, but don't think all three would lie to me at the same time.

As for that backup computer I carry? It just hangs out in a pocket, but I also compare the downloaded data (all parameters) from my primary and secondary computers after every series of dives. Since I have different primary and secondary computers, this comparison provides a good check on potential firmware or calculation problems as well.

So, aside from that really annoying lost signal beeping, I've found hoseless computers to be quite reliable.

Back
Top Bottom