Relative cost of diving equipment then and now.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Many times people talk about "the good old days" back in the late 50's and early 60's when a house was 10K, a car was $3500, and a their first double hose regulator was $79.95.

Maybe some of you people that have been in diving for a long time can elaborate on the relative costs of what a full set of dive gear costed then as opposed to now.

So in other words, that reg costing 79.95 back in the 50's would be what, $1200.00today adjusted for inflation?
I'm curious as to how much cheaper or how much more expensive dive equipment was back then and what you got.

A car was $3,500? A bug was about $1,500 new, $3,500 got you a Cadillac and $5,000 would put you behind the wheel of an E-Type Jag.

Anyway, Before today's digital watches the least expensive dive watch that you could count on was a Zodiac Sea Wolf what went for about $200 in 1970 (that's about $1,200 in today's money). That was just for a watch. My instruments back then, a ScubaPro helium depth gauge, an ikelight compass and a Doxa watch set me back enough in today's money, to buy a Datamask and an Oceanic OC1 Air/Nitrox Hoseless Titanium "Pioneer Limited Edition" Computer Dive Watch as a backup, with money left over. As I recall the watch was $300, the depth gauge was $80 and the compass about $40. A new Al tank was about $80, a Voit MR-12 $125, a new wet suit (custom) about $150, masks were $20, fins maybe $40 except for Jets (fair trade law conspiracy) $70.

I also heard that dive shops stocked sheets of neoprene and would sell you the neoprene, a pattern, seam tape, zippers, and a bottle of glue, and you went home and made your own suit. This to me is totally cool.
If only there was a shop around that would still do this.

Edit:
I hate when that happens. My browser quit working and I thought I lost my first post about how much air fills were,
then it shows up after the second post and I look like a douch.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much were air fills back in the 50's and 60's?
a buck or less.

How much were air fills back then?

I also heard that dive shops stocked sheets of neoprene and would sell you the neoprene, a pattern, seam tape, zippers, and a bottle of glue, and you went home and made your own suit. This to me is totally cool.
If only there was a shop around that would still do this.
I still make my own suits, though it's getting harder to find material.

I paid $20 for Jet Fins in 1968

I paid $20 for Jet fins in 2002 (ebay).

I recall seeing an old Scubapro Mk7 box (I assume Mk7/109) with a list price of about $350.

I paid $1150 for a new bare bones 1968 VW in Germany.

In 1957 I bought a Voit steel 72 and a Voit VR2 doublehose as a package for $130 at a local sporting goods store. I still use both. I guess if you consider that cost over 54 years it was a pretty good deal.

Mid 70ies:

$25 Jet Fins, regular fins cost about $8- 12
$110 Imperial Turtle wet suit
$55 Farallon deco meter (was promptly recalled)
SPG & Depth guage cost about $30 each unless you bought a capillary depth gauge

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom