Relative cost of diving equipment then and now.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, were getting prices of what equipment was then.
Now lets figure out what wages were. I know this is complicated and depends on geographical location and particular line of work.
But lets start with a union journey level trade such as electrician or retail clerks union, that seems to be a mid line standard and a good measurement.
A minimum wage job or CEO salary of a large corporation won't really work for this.

Otherwise throwing out prices of gear back in the old days doesn't really have much meaning unless we know what median income was.

I only started diving in 1984, but what I pay for an item of gear now is usually about half to two-thirds of what I used to pay (in absolute terms, non-adjusted) back in 1984.

God bless those Chinese sweatshops. And Leisurepro.

Many times people talk about "the good old days" back in the late 50's and early 60's when a house was 10K, a car was $3500, and a their first double hose regulator was $79.95.

Maybe some of you people that have been in diving for a long time can elaborate on the relative costs of what a full set of dive gear costed then as opposed to now.

So in other words, that reg costing 79.95 back in the 50's would be what, $1200.00today adjusted for inflation?
I'm curious as to how much cheaper or how much more expensive dive equipment was back then and what you got.

I purchased a steel 72 and a reg, 1st and 2nd stage only for $100.00 in 1970. I do not know how much that would be in todays dollars. Two years later I got a pickup truck for the same price but I am sure I over paid for that POS!

In 1981, I think I paid:

USD Rocket fins - $25
USD Calypso reg - 179??? wish I had gotten the Conshelf
USD jacket BC - 200?
Farallon depth/pressure combo - $79???
Ikelite 6V light - maybe 50?

Damn, that was a long time ago.

How much were air fills back in the 50's and 60's?

Remember that the cylinders back in the 50's and 60's were either 1800 psi or 2250 psi rated. So a "fill" of your tank was less than your "fill" today as well.

Back in 1976, my first new piece of equipment was a Sea Tec horsecollar BC, it had manual inflation and two CO2 emergency surface flotation cartridges. Think I paid $125 (astronomical amount) for it.

I bought my first wetsuit through an ad in Skindiver magazine for $49.95, custom fit! That was in 1977. Air fills at the time were $1.50 and I had to drive about 30 miles. I bought a brand new Dacor Olympic 100 for $100.00 with a used 72 and back pack. I was a teenager working the sweet corn fields and driving a delivery truck for the princely sum of about $1.50 an hour.
Even then, all my money was going into diving. LOL

They charge me the same for filling one of my 72's or my 120... $7.00

I've always felt like dive shops were punishing me for saving money on tanks by recouping their profits on fills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom