regulators- what the diff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mechanically speaking some higher end regs offer more in terms of in water diver adjustments but that does not always mean that non-adjustable regs have inferior breathing performance.

A properly serviced and well tuned low end downstream second stage like an R-190 or R-380 can breathe exceptionally well, particularly when used with a balanced first stage. It just will not have the ability to be detuned in the water for reduced freeflow potential while diving in stong currents, surge, etc like an adjustable second stage would. Proper tuning is also more important as poor tuning cannnot be corrected with external adjustments.

First stages may be a standard piston or balanced diaphragm or balanced piston design. The balanced designs are more expensive but offer better stability in terms of intermediate pressure which helps maintain an easy breathing second stage at low tank pressures.

Balanced first stages are however a bit more complicated and often will have a dynamic o-ring exposed to the full tank service pressure with a potential differential of 3000+ psi whereas most unbalanced piston designs will have no more than a 125-150 psi pressure differential across the dynamic o-ring. They consequently tend to be very reliable and easy to service.

I think you'll find that many of the high end regs (Apeks, Scubapro, Atomics, Aqualung, Zeagle, Sherwood, Poseidon)

I wouldn't classify a Sherwood as a "high end" reg. They're workhorses, hard to kill, won't freeze up on you, et al, and I have no problem with them, but they're not a 'high end' reg. I wouldn't want to dive with one at serious depths, that's for darn sure.

I don't think you can get a decent reg for $100.00 - $200.00...unless you a buying used. You could probably get a Mk10 setup on Ebay for around $200.00.

ScubaPro and Apeks have really nice regs...any of those would work fine.

100 to 200 is not likely to get you a new reg that is suitable for cold water use.

Your best bet before getting a regulator is to try as many as possible. Talk with different Local Dive shops about the regs they sell and see if you can rent them. Also you may want to buy a whole entire package at one time. Most shops will give you a great discount if you buy the whole package. In the long run you can save a lot of money.

I word of warning though, if a dealer tells you that a reg is rated for cold water make sure it is rated for below 50F. I am a native of Michigan so I know how cold those waters can get.

Speaking from past experience, I think some dealers in Michigan forget that the temperature drops when you drop below the thermocline :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom