Regulators to consider

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I enjoy my SP Mk25 and s600, but the g260 is the workhorse and is my backup/octo. If I did it again I would just get two g260. I send out for service so not locked to LDS and don't need to get parts or do service. The only reason I don't do my own service is I don't want my wife to blame me for killing myself, and I don't have time.
The ultimate “I told you so”!

The reason I do my own service is that I do not want somebody else's negligence to kill me. Seriously though carrying a redundant air supply really does negate that issue.

Since price is in the equation, it's Deep6 hands down. I have SP, Atomics, and Deep6. My Deep6 breathe every bit as well as any of the others. They are as well built and cheaper. My buddy and I are in the process of moving all of our regs over to Deep6. Mostly for simplicity of servicing a whole batch of the same regs.
FWIW, if I weren't so attached to Mares regs, I'd go Deep6 as well (this applies to those of us that live in the US). All properly tuned mid-priced and up regs (and even a few budget regs) will perform great in typical rec conditions, i.e., down to 40m/130' and 10C/50F. So it's really about other factors. I like Deep6's direct to consumer model and their support for DIY service.

Considering the amount of hours I've spent compiling Mares service info (which despite my efforts is incomplete), this seems like a crazy dream: [https://www.deep6gear.com/service-manual]. Also, imagine being able to buy service kits directly from the manufacturer instead of ordering from overseas/eBay and hoping for the best.

For those not into self-service, the ability to have the manufacturer service the regs versus the luck of the draw tech at the LDS has to be seen as an advantage. Like a lot of folks, I got into DIY because my regs came back from an expensive service with more problems than when they went in.

In the market for a new reg set. Currently running the Mares Rover 2S that was my first regulator I owned when I started diving so I think anything will be an upgrade. I was initially settled on the Atomic b2 regulator but, I’ve been hearing a lot of good things about Deep6. My primary want is ease of breathing throughout the water column followed by comfort. I don’t have a dive shop closer than two hours from me so it’s not very convenient to just pop in and try some out. I know everyone has their opinion on different brands but, I appreciate the advice.
If the nearest LDS is 2 hours away you will either mail your regs to be serviced or service it yourself. With Deep 6, you have both options.

Regulators can be religious, but also a topic where people's personal agenda for retribution come out unfortunately.

The reality is, regulators from the respected companies like Apeks, ScubaPro, Atomic, Deep 6, and more, you will be happy with whichever one you choose. I highly recommend against buying based upon servicing/parts being available in diving destinations. The reason is, you want to establish a relationship with a not-so-LDS that services your gear (if you are not servicing it yourself). I've had regulator service screwed up by 3 different LDS's to me, one in which was a dealer of Apeks, but put in "close enough" parts. So just because you get your regs serviced while on vacation, you are not guaranteed to actually have correct parts. While this is the exception, not the rule, so is having an issue while on vacation. The only time I had issues with my regulators was right after service. If you have a vacation coming up and your regs are due, it is better to have them serviced after you come back.

EDIT: as you are in the US, if you go with Deep 6, you can send regs to them to service or another certified shop/technician. Or yourself.

Right? Did I open Pandora’s box?
Ha ha. Deep6 doesn't have the longstanding global brand recognition the others do. Personally, I like supporting the underdogs, the small businesses. Deep6 is headquartered in my state. I dunno--I just like the idea, and of course the regs themselves are quite well made for the price point. Regs are not rocket science.

But, but, but, ... Deep6 doesn't make a D400. Nor does Atomic, Poseidon, etc. IJS.

rx7diver

The reason I do my own service is that I do not want somebody else's negligence to kill me. Seriously though carrying a redundant air supply really does negate that issue.
Unless somebody else worked on the redundant reg also, which means you could have two things that will kill you.

Unless somebody else worked on the redundant reg also, which means you could have two things that will kill you.
The person who services their own reg is more likely to thoroughly test it (unless they are a moron).

Back
Top Bottom