Regulators Decision - TUSA RS-790 or Atomic Z3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AMS, Scubapro MK17 would be the rebranded RS790.... Tusa is the OEM for those regulators, Tusa=Tabata USA, and they have been rebranding regulators for a long time for Scubapro and others.

Atomic service will be about $30 over diaphragm service due to the lube cost, there's a thread on that right now actually. Pro to Atomic is it's made in the USA if that matters to you, though if it does I'd consider going to a Dive Rite Transpac or Oxycheq backplate/wing setup over the Nighthawk, much higher quality to boot.

My understanding is the MK-17 (and MK-11) were designed by Scubapro with Tabata being the contract manufacturer. This is a different relationship from OMS, Oxycheq, Salvo, and others that sold regulators designed by Ocean Divers Supply. So I believe it is correct to refer to the Tusa (and Subgear) as rebranded Scubapros. I do agree that TUSA has been around for a long time, I remember them in the 1980s.

In a previous post, I linked to the thread you are mentioning. While some online vendors did chime in that they would do it cheaper, the point is moot because the shipping costs would negate the savings on the lube. What really matters here is how much the OP will be charged for service and if the sealing is actually necessary. According to the website the sealing is optional and the OP being a warm water diver really does not need it.

The OP is getting a package deal so he needs to limit himself to what the LDS carries. Looking at their website I don't think that they are current Dive Rite or Oxycheq dealer. They are an Oceanic and Scubapro dealer so he could get a BP/W from either Hollis or Scubapro.

I know the pistons are Scubapro designs, but I thought the diaphragm was a Tabata design, either way doesn't matter, Tabata is making them, and they're the same regulators, whatever the agreement is is irrelevant.

Add Hog, Hollis, and Dive Rite to the ODS list, though they do have some design input on those regulators.

Either way, imho there are much better package deals out there mainly due to the BC being restricted to the jacket style, I've seen far too many of them have one small thing go wrong and since they are non modular designs the whole thing has to be trashed...

Thank you, diversteve and everyone else. I spoke with Coral Edge yesterday and it turns out they have the Atomic Z3 in stock. Since I'm getting a full package with discount, the sticker price difference between the TUSA and the Atomic will be not only way less than I had imagined but pretty much negligible (less than $100). Since I'm not terribly interested in cold water diving, I'm leaning heavily toward the Atomic. The only down side I can see is what ams511 mentioned above, namely that it isn't as well sealed at the first stage as the TUSA and may require higher maintenance costs with lube and all. Plus that rinsing bit that diversteve talked about seems like a drag. I'll have to discuss these details with the dealer.

I do not own Atomics (I do own the Subgear version of the TUSA), so I cannot give you specific advice on the regulator only general advice. I am not sure of the differences between the Z-2, Z-2x, and Z-3. You may be able to save a few dollars by going with a Z-2. I would ask Coral Edge how much is the service on the regulator and if the packing is needed. I don't think it is. What is nice about the Z-3 is that it has excellent hose routing with the 7 lp ports and the second stage is adjustable. This is well worth a less than $100 difference. The Tusa is a great regulator but at only a slight difference in price, I would go with the Atomic.

---------- Post added February 12th, 2015 at 01:16 PM ----------

I know the pistons are Scubapro designs, but I thought the diaphragm was a Tabata design, either way doesn't matter, Tabata is making them, and they're the same regulators, whatever the agreement is is irrelevant.

Add Hog, Hollis, and Dive Rite to the ODS list, though they do have some design input on those regulators.

Either way, imho there are much better package deals out there mainly due to the BC being restricted to the jacket style, I've seen far too many of them have one small thing go wrong and since they are non modular designs the whole thing has to be trashed...

Here is an old post from DA Aquamaster on the relationship between Scubapro and Tabata. I did know about Hog, Hollis, Dive Rite and Sea Elite (Diver's Supply house brand) but limited my answer to brands that are no longer actively selling them. Also Chris from Hog used to insist that he did have input into the design and engineering of Hog regs with ODS. The piston reg TUSA sells seem to be their own design.

I am not a big fan of jacket BC's either. One thing to remind the OP about is that just because it fits on land doesn't mean it will fit in the water. If Coral Edge has a pool ask to try it first along with a back inflate.

Z2, Z2x, and Z3 are all going to perform identically. Z2x will have a 5LP port swivel turret 1st stage and an Atomic comfort swivel LP hose, while the Z2 will have a 7LP port 1st stage like the Z3, and no comfort swivel on the LP hose. Honestly, if you like the 7LP port hose routing, I'd get the Z2 - the comfort swivel hose is nice, but a bit of a white elephant if you want to make changes later in terms of hose length, as the AA swivel is built into the hose itself.

The rinsing concern re: Atomics and seat savers is internet diving at its finest.

You only need to seal the regulator if you plan to dive where it needs it - cold or high silt areas. I don't pay to have mine re-sealed since I never do.

A Z2X is a Z2 with the factory 2nd stage swivel hose. Afaik that's the only difference. I don't think Z2X's are still sold but there's probably some in inventory somewhere still.

Pretty much the difference between the Z2 and Z3 is they include the swivel hose standard, it comes in PVD (Particle Vapor Deposition?) Black - the swivel itself since the default reg color is all black - and the 2nd stage case:
A new high-flow second stage case that significantly lowers breathing effort at any depth from shallow water to beyond the limits
It's not real obvious from the Atomic website but you can also buy the Z2/3 in either the standard fixed 7port or turret swivel 5port configuration. I'm not positive but I believe it's the same money. You give up 2 ports when you do. Every other Atomic has the 5port swivel standard.

Capture.jpg

Atomic Aquatics Regulator Systems Comparison Chart

You only need to seal the regulator if you plan to dive where it needs it - cold or high silt areas. I don't pay to have mine re-sealed since I never do.

A Z2X is a Z2 with the factory 2nd stage swivel hose. Afaik that's the only difference. I don't think Z2X's are still sold but there's probably some in inventory somewhere still.

Pretty much the difference between the Z2 and Z3 is they include the swivel hose standard, it comes in PVD (Particle Vapor Deposition?) Black - the swivel itself since the default reg color is all black - and the 2nd stage case:
It's not real obvious from the Atomic website but you can also buy the Z2/3 in either the standard fixed 7port or turret swivel 5port configuration. I'm not positive but I believe it's the same money. You give up 2 ports when you do. Every other Atomic has the 5port swivel standard.

View attachment 203046

Atomic Aquatics Regulator Systems Comparison Chart

The "new high-flow case" for the 2nd stage isn't something that was new with the T3/Z3 models, however. AA's last case redesign was between the T1/B1/Z1 models and the current ones.

The "new high-flow case" for the 2nd stage isn't something that was new with the T3/Z3 models, however. AA's last case redesign was between the T1/B1/Z1 models and the current ones.
You're right but I just noticed it. I got fooled because it's all black.

Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG

I don't think Z2X's are still sold but there's probably some in inventory somewhere still.

The reason I mentioned it was because the website of Coral Edge Adventures does list them as in stock. Maybe the OP can save a few more dollars.

"Honestly, if you like the 7LP port hose routing, I'd get the Z2 - the comfort swivel hose is nice, but a bit of a white elephant if you want to make changes later in terms of hose length, as the AA swivel is built into the hose itself."

Dr. L

I'm finding the standard 36" hose on my Z3 is a bit long and bows and tugs on my regulator and I have to chomp down to hang on to it, any recommendations to remedy this?

Thanks
Scuba727

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom