regulator with side exhaust vent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had that Tekna reg for many years and its breathing was without equal. Later, I got the Omega II and found it to be just as good (but a little wetter). No matter how deep, and no matter how hard you were working, you could never overbreathe these regulators. They were just phenomenal at air delivery. I had mine tuned so that placing it in 2" of water would start the air flow. At depth, it seemed like the regulator was positively feeding air to you (or in other words "inflating" you), but you could control with absolute precision your breathing rate once you got used to it. IF you had to pant hard, never a concern about CO2 build up. The tiny second stage, incredible light weight, eash 360 degree swivel "no wrong position" design, were all great as well.

I am thrilled to see that Oceanic/Hollis are bringing back the Omega design. I did not know that a company (Poseidon) was still making this design. If I had known that, even with the extra effort in getting service (neither my Tekna nor Omega had problems or ever needed repair), I would have gotten one in a heartbeat over my Apeks XTS 200. This will be high on my "wish list" this year and it is encouraging to see that Poseidon might be establishing a bigger presence in the U.S.

I, for one, did not mind the slightly "wet" breathing of the Omega. There was never enough water to actually be noticeable, and is sure beat dry mouth.

If side exhaust is it I would go with the Poseidon Xstream...been using them for years....separate inhale and exhaust diaphragms...dry breathing... bulletproof!

Hi Blue, and maybe rsingler can weigh in on this.

Why does the xtream come in two versions: "air/trimix" and "02/Nitrox"? I have never seen a normal nitrox regulator that could not also do trimix. Why is the poseidon mutually exclusive, requirign two different second stages depending on the gas?

Hi Blue, and maybe rsingler can weigh in on this.

Why does the xtream come in two versions: "air/trimix" and "02/Nitrox"? I have never seen a normal nitrox regulator that could not also do trimix. Why is the poseidon mutually exclusive, requirign two different second stages depending on the gas?
Hi Guy,
There are 2 different versions of the regulator, not just versions of the 2nd stage. As I understand things the MIL specs for lots of the navies of the world require O2 cleaning procedures for any gas with an oxygen content of 23.5% or higher; hence a "bottom" gas spec'd regulator (air or trimix) approved for use to 200m by NORSOK (Norwegian oil industry/ rig safety group) and the O2 clean version for nitrox/O2 higher than 23.5% Oxygen mixes. Many of the navies use Poseidon regulators as their standard regulators so it makes sense to comply with the MIL specs and not just some arbitrary "industry " standard. The O2 clean version is also certified for O2 mixes up to 99.95%. The "O2 clean" is based around a concept that Poseidon calls the O4 Concept; that is the regulator 1) engineered and designed for lowest possible risk of combustion when using high 2 mixes or pure 2 (designed as an O2 Reg), 2) O2 compatible materials used in construction, 3) O2 cleaned, 4) Oxygen approved by an independent lab....my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I had that Tekna reg for many years and its breathing was without equal. Later, I got the Omega II and found it to be just as good (but a little wetter). No matter how deep, and no matter how hard you were working, you could never overbreathe these regulators. They were just phenomenal at air delivery. I had mine tuned so that placing it in 2" of water would start the air flow. At depth, it seemed like the regulator was positively feeding air to you (or in other words "inflating" you), but you could control with absolute precision your breathing rate once you got used to it. IF you had to pant hard, never a concern about CO2 build up. The tiny second stage, incredible light weight, eash 360 degree swivel "no wrong position" design, were all great as well.

I am thrilled to see that Oceanic/Hollis are bringing back the Omega design. I did not know that a company (Poseidon) was still making this design. If I had known that, even with the extra effort in getting service (neither my Tekna nor Omega had problems or ever needed repair), I would have gotten one in a heartbeat over my Apeks XTS 200. This will be high on my "wish list" this year and it is encouraging to see that Poseidon might be establishing a bigger presence in the U.S.

I, for one, did not mind the slightly "wet" breathing of the Omega. There was never enough water to actually be noticeable, and is sure beat dry mouth.

That is the infamous and not very good Tekna T2100BX. It was their final and poor attempt to tame the beast, aside from being detuned it was mostly plastic which mostly cracked. Here is the Tekna T2100, the good one:

DSCF0005-2.jpg

The all metal T2100 was followed by the equally good but not as svelte T2100B, also in the photo, which still had a metal construction aside from the plastic outer housing. It was only slightly detuned from the T2100.

I also agree, the Omega II was a fine regulator and like you concur that it was a wet breather. There have in total only been a few pilot/servo assisted regulators in the market. Just have never really made it in the mainstream. The Tekna had an upstream tilt valve servo on the balance chamber, the Omega used a downstream servo valve on the balance chamber. Unlike most second stage regs, the servo assisted second stages do not have a direct mechanical link from the ambient diaphragm to the main flow valve. It is an amplified pneumatic connection. Herein is a potential problem, if the servo fails you can suck until blue in the face and the Tekna will not give up a single drop of air, or it will go into wild free flow. Given that the MkV clone first is a (very) high flow design and that the Tekna second stage is not a limiting factor, it can empty a tank, lickity split. Either way you have an issue.

Another problem was that especially at shallow depths and made worse by the panting most divers call their efforts at breathing, it would flutter/stutter and sometimes jump out of the mouth and fly about like a squid. Well, that last part only, maybe a slight exaggeration. The servo opening and closing would be out of sync with the divers rapid panting and this made for unhappy divers. Kind of like Jeep Wrangler Death Wobble, if you have experienced it, you do not want to again.

Well, they were not that bad and a few divers, probably just me and you, enjoyed using the all time top of the heap. Yes, it would pump the air at depth, the only current regulator that can do that is the new Argonaut Kraken, not due to the servo assist but it has a very powerful Venturi, but then it is also a double hose regulator.

And by the way, 2.0 inches of water cracking effort is pretty bad. Mine crack at about 1.4. But, of the three primary variables of WOB, cracking effort is the least important in my opinion, but cracking effort gets the big press because it is so easy to measure. Actually, exhalation is the biggest factor of WOB followed by inhalation work, cracking effort is the last and least.

We cannot have this kind of innovation in SCUBA or anything else anymore for that matter because we have lawyers instead of engineers designing everything.

I bought the T2100 in the pic in circa 1979, the T2100B about 84, I used both up until about 1998 where I went back to the Conshelf XIV due to lack of parts. About the same time I put my wife back on the Conshelf also due to her constant complaining about the wet breathing of the Omega II. I sold the Omega on ebait, the Teknas I still have and both work fine. I have a small stash of parts, having given away most all of them over the years to the few Tekna fans I came across. The few remaining parts, I am keeping.

N

Looked at all the 2nd stages from this thread. Really liked the look of the Oceanic Omega III (not available yet) and the Mares Instinct (2nd only available in yellow). I've got a Cressi XS2 (don't knock it - dove it way cold and at 130' and it breathed like silk). It exhausts out both sides. I'm thinking of blocking the right exhaust and extending the left in order to accomplish what the side exhaust 2nd stages do. Can anyone think of any problems with doing this - not accomplishing it as much as buggering up the regs function by doing it?

Looked at all the 2nd stages from this thread. Really liked the look of the Oceanic Omega III (not available yet) and the Mares Instinct (2nd only available in yellow). I've got a Cressi XS2 (don't knock it - dove it way cold and at 130' and it breathed like silk). It exhausts out both sides. I'm thinking of blocking the right exhaust and extending the left in order to accomplish what the side exhaust 2nd stages do. Can anyone think of any problems with doing this - not accomplishing it as much as buggering up the regs function by doing it?

I would be wary of doing this. One of the biggest factors in regulator breathing performance is the ease of exhalation and therefore the efficiency of the exhaust valve and tee in allowing exhaled air (bubbles) to exit as freely as possible.
If you are set on a side exhaust the new Hollis unit (similar to the pending Omega 3) is very good and retails for about $260 (second stage only), I have a spare one that has never been used that I'm going to throw on Ebay when I get around to it but will probably sell for 1/2 price- $135 if you are interested?

Thanks for the input reefrat. I think I'm going to give it a try anyway. I can probably produce a cover that I can put on and remove without damage to the reg just to see. If it turns out that I run into problems I'll probably just get the Mares ($127), replace the yellow hose with my black one and leave it at that. The Mares looks more compact and the exhast is farther down and back than the Hollis looks to be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom