regulator with side exhaust vent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aqualung Kronos - I have one and like it. I bought it because it was on sale not for the side exhaust but now that I have it I really the side port. When I use a different reg it takes me a few min to get used to the bubbles. There are several side exhaust options as mentioned above.

Interesting. I’m pretty sure that all the Omegas I have used thus far have been the first version. The Omega II “appeared” to have identical housings and diaphragm/mushroom valves as the first version.

Did either of you try pulling a suction on the second stage with the first stage plugged to see if you could locate the leak? Of course it is no guarantee that this trick works on low differential pressure leaks. I can’t think of any reasons that a mushroom valve would perform differently mounted in a diaphragm or solidly in a housing???

They sold a lot of these and a lot of divers still love them so I wonder if it could have been as simple as bad batches of parts from the molder that didn’t get discovered in QA? It is a much larger mushroom valve than most, I wonder if that was a factor?

I do not think so, wet breathing was a very common complaint of the Omegas and widely known. The leakage was dripping past the diaphragm exhaust valve and then accumulation of water in the housing that did not purge fully with each breathing cycle. There was never cotton mouth with an Omega, salt mouth maybe but not dry mouth.

An aside, I sold the second stages on ebait several years ago. I am just not into plastic regulators. The Tekna T2100 units I have are keepers because they are metal and beautiful workmanship. The stuff I use and keep is always metal, the stuff I use and abuse and throw away is plastic. If they had been chrome brass I would have been much more likely to keep them around. The first stage is now masquerading as a Mark V Scubapro complete with Scubapro yoke and knob.

N

Hmm, never came across the issue and lots of friends had the same regulator. Granted, I didn't pay much attention to the recreational market in those days. So what do you think would make the mushroom valve be a leaker? It is larger than most but about the size as mushrooms in a double hose. It isn't the first time exhaust valves were mounted in the diaphragm.

From what you two say Oceanic must be aware of the issue. It will be interesting to see if the exhaust in the Omega III is perceptibly different and if the intermittent problem persists.

Hmm, never came across the issue and lots of friends had the same regulator. Granted, I didn't pay much attention to the recreational market in those days. So what do you think would make the mushroom valve be a leaker? It is larger than most but about the size as mushrooms in a double hose. It isn't the first time exhaust valves were mounted in the diaphragm.

From what you two say Oceanic must be aware of the issue. It will be interesting to see if the exhaust in the Omega III is perceptibly different and if the intermittent problem persists.

Not entirely sure, I think, it may off seat a little when the head is tilted such that the exhaust side is up.

It is funny our completely different perceptions of the Omega. Many divers we encountered inquired about the wet breathing.

I am glad to see they have not given up, maybe if they put it into a metal housing I will get my wife another :wink:.

The first thing she commented upon when she made her first dive with her new Legend (several years ago) was how dry it was.

N

Off topic but related!

Do you guys know if the omega/500SE demand valve fully seats when unpressurized and is it OK to rinse the second stage in that condition (without water entering the valve/hose/first stage)?

I tend to agree that proper trim will reduce, if not eliminate the problem... but there are times when you want/need to have your head in a position where the exhaust may direct upwards over your mask (e.g. photography). What about the Apeks (Aqualung) XTX series with the wide exhaust T? (not a side exhaust reg but does a good job of directing the bubbles to the side IMO). I use the wide on my primary and compact on my secondary (octo/backup).

xtx-features2.jpg

And if it wasn't mentioned before, the new side exhaust Hollis 500SE DC7 (which I have no personal experience of)

Off topic but related!

Do you guys know if the omega/500SE demand valve fully seats when unpressurized and is it OK to rinse the second stage in that condition (without water entering the valve/hose/first stage)?

Yes. The servo valve is a spring loaded DOWNSTREAM lever. The demand valve itself is a thick disc which flexes away from the orifice with differential pressure change from the servo. It should seal just fine, although I should note that it is not held shut by a spring the way a typical downstream valve is. With that said, if you are concerned about fresh water entry during extended soaking, the best solution is still to upend your tank in the tub with the whole set pressurized.

I'll check my service manual and let you know if there's a specific recommendation against soaking unpressurized, but off the top of my head, I don't think so.

Rob (Hollis/Oceanic service tech)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom