Regulator tune up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have some similar concerns to the OP. My wife and I are occasional divers, once or twice a year warm water trips. Before our most recent trip (a couple weeks ago) we had both regular sets serviced at a reputable shop and the cost was a gulper, in part because my regular set had a leaky quick disconnect hose that needed replacement. I have enough other hobbies and time obligations that I do not want to be a DIY person with my regulators, but I am not sure what interval is necessary to have the regs serviced. Our next trip is not until the late fall or early next year, so I assume we are ok, but if you are not a DIY type, then how do you know when to take a regulator set in for service?

I have some similar concerns to the OP. My wife and I are occasional divers, once or twice a year warm water trips. Before our most recent trip (a couple weeks ago) we had both regular sets serviced at a reputable shop and the cost was a gulper, in part because my regular set had a leaky quick disconnect hose that needed replacement. I have enough other hobbies and time obligations that I do not want to be a DIY person with my regulators, but I am not sure what interval is necessary to have the regs serviced. Our next trip is not until the late fall or early next year, so I assume we are ok, but if you are not a DIY type, then how do you know when to take a regulator set in for service?

Usually, a leak in an LPI hose is caused by a faulty o-ring that costs a couple cents and maybe 15 minutes worth of labor. But, it is more profitable for the shop (and less time consuming) to simply replace the entire hose. Sometimes it is hard to find shops that choose to make their profit without costing you more than necessary.

with the hose, they are only like $20 new, so it doesn't hurt to keep an extra.

Regarding service, the number one things is IP. Get a cheap LP72 or really any scuba tank to have at home, when you book your trip, put the reg set on the tank, pressurize and have the IP gauge on it. Breathe on it 5-10 times, quick short breaths work just fine and watch the needle. If it bounces straight back to where it was before your breath you're good. Let it sit for 10 minutes or longer and make sure it isn't creeping up. After that put it in the bathtub to check for leaks and ideally have it full enough that you can get your face flat in the water to breathe to make sure it breathes like you want it to.

If it fails the first it needs rebuild. If it fails the second, check where it is coming from. O-rings are cheap and easy to replace, so are hoses. If it fails the third, it just needs to be tuned.

You can combine steps 1 and 2 as long as you make sure the IP gauge stays out of the water, but it's easier to do with it still dry. If you can't get it in a bathtub, a spray bottle with simple green or a bit of dawn dishsoap and water will do the bubble check for you.

Our next trip is not until the late fall or early next year, so I assume we are ok, but if you are not a DIY type, then how do you know when to take a regulator set in for service?

Take a look at Couv's sticky at the top of regulator section. He explains how to check a regulator set.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom