Regulator tune up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lets take setting the 2nd Stage opening effort... Some technicians adjust this using an inline tool. Per manufacturer service specifications, this would be an incorrect procedure. On the XTX and Legend (and other models) the inline tool is used only to set the lever height while using a special lever height tool and this lever height tool is unique to each second stage model. Changing opening effort is made by making adjustments to an adjustment screw that fits within the cam.

I have never heard of this. Do you have a link to an ATX or XTX service manual? They only have the TX series on Frogkick.

last I checked the adjustment tool is needed if you want to do it while the regulator is pressurized, which is very convenient if you're doing it for a living, but on my AT series and XTX series it was either a flathead screwdriver, or allen key *can't remember*. Only "special" tool was a pin spanner to service the whole set

I have never heard of this. Do you have a link to an ATX or XTX service manual? They only have the TX series on Frogkick.

I have the XTX technicians service manual and this is not mentioned, explained in anyway at all. I too would be interested in seeing this somewhere in print. Cheers.

---------- Post added June 2nd, 2015 at 08:44 PM ----------

I've been servicing my Apeks regs for a few years using the Tech manual and have never had an issue, they all breathe very well.

---------- Post added June 2nd, 2015 at 08:46 PM ----------

I also have the Apeks tool list and there is no mention of any "special lever height tool". Interesting.

I do not have any links to service manuals that I can provide. For the Apeks XTX series you have two XTX Cover/Lever Height tools depending on if it is a pre-2013 or 2013 - present model. These tools have "Gas Flow" and "No Gas Flow" sides to properly set the lever height. The Legend has a Lever Height Tool and the Mikron also has a Crown/Lever Ring Tool. The process is pretty much the same for all. You set the correct lever height by using these tools and adjusting the crown. Once lever height is set, you adjust the opening effort by changing the spring load with the adjustment screw.

How critical the use of the lever height tool versus adjusting till you hear air flow and then backing-off "just a bit" is certainly debatable. Manufacturers like consistency and these lever height adjustment tools do provide a consistent lever height if they are used and the adjustment procedure is followed.

last I checked the adjustment tool is needed if you want to do it while the regulator is pressurized, which is very convenient if you're doing it for a living, but on my AT series and XTX series it was either a flathead screwdriver, or allen key *can't remember*. Only "special" tool was a pin spanner to service the whole set

Flat head.

---------- Post added June 2nd, 2015 at 08:54 PM ----------

I do not have any links to service manuals that I can provide. For the Apeks XTX series you have two XTX Cover/Lever Height tools depending on if it is a pre-2013 or 2013 - present model. These tools have "Gas Flow" and "No Gas Flow" sides to properly set the lever height. The Legend has a Lever Height Tool and the Mikron also has a Crown/Lever Ring Tool. The process is pretty much the same for all. You set the correct lever height by using these tools and adjusting the crown. Once lever height is set, you adjust the opening effort by changing the spring load with the adjustment screw.

How critical the use of the lever height tool versus adjusting till you hear air flow and then backing-off "just a bit" is certainly debatable. Manufacturers like consistency and these lever height adjustment tools do provide a consistent lever height if they are used and the adjustment procedure is followed.

Thanks for the clarification. I have the Gas Flow/No Gas Flow tools for the pre and post 2013 XTX models. Perhaps the Tech manual I have is correct as this is what I use and like I said no issues. Thanks again.

---------- Post added June 2nd, 2015 at 08:56 PM ----------

From memory it's tool AT20 pre 2013 XTX and AT20F post 2013.

From memory it's tool AT20 pre 2013 XTX and AT20F post 2013.

Correct. They can be used to remove the cover and set the lever height with an inline adjustment tool. Once the lever height is set (coarse adjustment) you fine tune the opening effort (cracking pressure) with the adjustment screw (5mm hex key on my sets).

---------- Post added June 2nd, 2015 at 10:23 PM ----------

It is funny. My thinking was just the opposite. I don't service regulators for a living and I am pretty anal about everything. I am in no rush, I follow the torque specifications, use all the "special" tools, and I change all the o-rings on the hoses...even on the plugs (they are in the service kit, so why not). I would probably be a service departments worst nightmare because I spend so much time on a single regulator I would have a huge backlog of customer regulators that need service!

Correct. They can be used to remove the cover and set the lever height with an inline adjustment tool. Once the lever height is set (coarse adjustment) you fine tune the opening effort (cracking pressure) with the adjustment screw (5mm hex key on my sets).

---------- Post added June 2nd, 2015 at 10:23 PM ----------

It is funny. My thinking was just the opposite. I don't service regulators for a living and I am pretty anal about everything. I am in no rush, I follow the torque specifications, use all the "special" tools, and I change all the o-rings on the hoses...even on the plugs (they are in the service kit, so why not). I would probably be a service departments worst nightmare because I spend so much time on a single regulator I would have a huge backlog of customer regulators that need service!

Me too, Are we related? I think you must be my long lost twin.

Thanks for the clarification. When you said lever adjusting tool I incorrectly assumed you were talking about a tool to bend the lever, like on the old single-adjustment downstream regulators. When you say changing the spring load I assume you mean turning the microadjustment screw in the knob. The TX series doesn't have this and I have not disassembled my ATXs yet.

Me too, Are we related? I think you must be my long lost twin.

Ha! I don't know...

Do you have a the ability to perform precision cracking effort measurements? I just don't think I am getting enough accuracy sucking through the mouthpiece adapter and that what I REALLY need is a proper vacuum system! I would get the Scuba Tools A.I.R. Flow Analyzer, but the wife keeps bothering me about rent, gas, groceries...you know the minor things that get in the way!

Ha! I don't know...

Do you have a the ability to perform precision cracking effort measurements? I just don't think I am getting enough accuracy sucking through the mouthpiece adapter and that what I REALLY need is a proper vacuum system! I would get the Scuba Tools A.I.R. Flow Analyzer, but the wife keeps bothering me about rent, gas, groceries...you know the minor things that get in the way!

No, I don't. I use a magnehelic gauge which although not pin point accurate is good enough. I too would like a Flow Analyzer but am unable to for the same reasons. Since having a baby my bank account has been all but frozen.

---------- Post added June 3rd, 2015 at 12:41 AM ----------

If you want the XTX service manual PM me. I don't have a link but do have a PDF.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom