Regulator tune up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aqualung/Apeks, Scubapro require your reg to be services every year by a certified tech and not being able to meet this requirement can void your warranty.
Atomic, HOG on the other hand requiroe 2 years service interval (3 years for the Atomic Ti3) and - at least for Atomic - warranty isn't impacted if servicing the reg is not done on that Schedule.
For other brands, I don't know.
Then, after another question apply: do you care of keeping your manufacturer warranty? This topic is another story.

Last edited:
Atomic being impacted by servicing is news to me....
The Atomic Limited Lifetime Warranty is not contingent on proof of annual service.

Hog is also new, was very much not aware of them being impacted by service intervals... They have a disclaimer about them not being under warranty if the error was caused by improper service, but this would very much surprise me because in the beginning there was no manual, there was no "authorized" service techs etc because there was no manual or formal class....

Service interval for Scubapro is 2 years now. I thought they all went to 2 year service intervals.

I can't think of anything that requires service to be warranted if not serviced as required.

To Tbone1004: Correct, I didn't write properly. I own Atomic products. My bad for doing that mistake. Edited my post.
To dmoore19: I checked again the owner manual of Apeks and Aqualung: still 1 year. By the way ,Aqualung still has some regs with "Part Free" program for the servicing.

Okay, I thought they had changed to 2 years when Scubapro did. Thanks.

Parts for life is still around for Scubapro but only with the purchase of a BCD or some other equipment. Not sure what the specific requirements are.

To Tbone1004: Correct, I didn't write properly. I own Atomic products. My bad for doing that mistake. Edited my post.
To dmoore19: I checked again the owner manual of Apeks and Aqualung: still 1 year. By the way ,Aqualung still has some regs with "Part Free" program for the servicing.

My two cents... I have a house full of Aqualung and Apeks, with only a few ScubaPro regulators. So my knowledge and examples use Aqualung simply because I am more familiar with specifics.

In the US (other regions have different policies) the Aqualung warranty and Free Parts for Life program look to have identical annual service requirements. There is an annual service requirement for either an inspection (Year 1, 3, 5, 7, etc) or an overhaul (Year 2, 4, 6, etc...or as needed based on the inspection). Both also both apply only to the original purchaser. So if you maintain the warranty requirements, you will keep the Parts for Life. Failure to meet the annual service requirements for the Parts for Life and it looks like you are no longer covered under your warranty (there are some legal exclusions/conditions for the warranty...not sure what states those may apply in).

Wether a dive shop charges the same amount for an inspection versus an overhaul is another issue entirely. I have seen some charge the same price for an "Annual Service", others have a different cost structure for an "overhaul" versus an "inspection", and I have seen one that performed the annual inspection at no charge. What you pay definitely depends on the store you go to or frequent.

If you are not the original owner, or you have skipped an inspection, by the rules you are now out of the Free Parts for Life programs (and also out of warranty if I read the user guide correctly). Do you even need to perform an annual inspection or overhaul service? There is the "If it isn't broke don't fix it" group who feel that as long as the IP is constant and everything is working, why mess with it. There are also those that want the equipment serviced every year.

If you do get the equipment serviced every year...is the equipment actually being properly serviced per the manufacturer service specifications...even by factory trained technicians?

One shop told a customer that the factory IP (or MP in AL speak) was low on their new Legend regulator. They stated it came from the factory too low and needed to be set to 145 psi so they adjusted it. Problem is, for an AL Legend an MP of 145 psi does not meet the factory specs. The factory specs call for an MP between 116 and 130 psi and the new regulator likely met those specs prior to the technician "fixing" the regulator.

Lets take setting the 2nd Stage opening effort... Some technicians adjust this using an inline tool. Per manufacturer service specifications, this would be an incorrect procedure. On the XTX and Legend (and other models) the inline tool is used only to set the lever height while using a special lever height tool and this lever height tool is unique to each second stage model. Changing opening effort is made by making adjustments to an adjustment screw that fits within the cam.

So if you do pay for your annual service, are you actually getting the service and adjustments the manufacturer has specified for your regulator? I once watched a "factory" authorized tech overhaul some regulators. At no time during the reassembly was a torque wrench used...I am not sure if a torque wrench is even owned. How important is that? Well, some say they can get the correct torque "by feel", other say the exact torque is not that important, and others use a torque wrench because 27 or 40 inch pounds is a lot less than most people think.

I think this tread got sidetracked a bit on the warranty and manufacturer's recommended inspection intervals. Back to the original question:

Hello,
Time for my regulator to be checked out after year one and about 50 dives. Is it important to have a basic working knowledge of what goes on during a tune up? I'm not sure what I'd be hoping to learn or what I should look for, but it also seems like I'm trusting the dude to not forget an O ring or a jillion other things that could be missed during the check up. Any advice of anything to look for....or just chill out and hope the guys got it right.

First, start by reading the wonderful sticky thread by couv et. al. at the top of the regulator forum:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/346813-regulator-inspection-checklist-rev-7-a.html

Performing the simple tests may provide some valuable insight, and help you decide if a "tune up" is even necessary at this point.

Next, I would follow the advice already posted about buying Vance Harlow's book. Even if you never plan to service your own regulator, the knowledge gained by reading the book will answer your question, and provide a really good foundation.

If you decide to have someone else service your regulator at this point (which is a totally acceptable option), ask other divers who you trust who they like to use. Not all reg "techs" are created equally. Even though a regulator is an amazingly simple mechanical device, a ham-fisted tech can still manage to screw it up....

Best wishes.

what is said above is good, though a shop should do a free bench test of the reg to verify IP and WoB especially if you bought it from there.... If they don't, find a new shop.

If you have your own tanks, or realistically even if you don't, buy an IP gauge and use it, it tells you the most important thing about a regulators health, the HP seat condition. I'd bet money that you're regulator is fine after a year and 50 dives *I took a reg set back out that hadn't been serviced or used in 2 years and had easily 200 dives on it prior to going in the bag and it was perfectly fine, have probably 50 dives on it since with no issues*. The only reason warranty came up is that some mfg's require it, so if it's required and you're concerned about the warranty then take it in anyway, if it's not contingent on service, then buy an IP gauge for $15 and it will tell you when it needs service.

shop should do a free bench test of the reg to verify IP and WoB especially if you bought it from there.... If they don't, find a new shop..

This......

Back
Top Bottom