regulator technician training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

binobanana

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Where do i have to go if i live in Florida!

Most of them are manufacturer specific, and run by the manufacturer. Not to mention, a lot of them you have to be a shop employee to attend. The only one I know of off hand is the Edge/HOG regulator technician course, through TDI. But I believe you need to be a tech diver to qualify. Is there a reason you want to attend a training seminar as opposed to just buying the books, "Regulator Saavy" and the Oxy Hacker's guide to regulator maintenance and repair" and learning it that way? I can attest that attending a training seminar can be useful, but I learned more from the Oxy Hacker book (don't own the other one yet), and just taking apart my regs.

Jim

Last edited:
you have to be affiliated with a dealer (aqualung, scubapro ect) to buy replacement parts. if you are looking for manuals, check out frogkick.dk

It depends on the manufacturer. But even then there are sources for parts for every reg if you know how and where to look. Some are harder than others to find. I choose to use regs that I can get parts for relatively easy even if the manufacturer says they only sell to dealers. Some dealers will sell kits to those divers who demonstrate they know what they are doing. Others will sell to anyone. I like both of these.

Most manufacturers will only train their dealers to repair their products. The cost to provide this training is considerable but they usually do not charge thier dealers - its part of the service. They do not provide training for the general public because they want to protect their dealers. There is also the liability problem and the difficulty in getting updated maintenance and technical bulletins out to everyone who needs them.

Generally, the certification agencies no not want to get nvolved in training technicians because they are concerned with liability issues and they do not want to be seen as helping divers compet with the LDS for service revenue.

Just recently one agency announced a regulator training course. They are operating it in conjunction with a single equipment manufacturer - Edge. It is limited to one company's regulators and only offered to divers holding technical certification.

Many divers would be capable of doing their own regulator service and repair if they they could get the proper training and had the tools, repair diagrams and access to parts. Tools, repair diagrams and parts are available over the internet for most common brands of regulators to those who are willing to look for them. What is left is access to training.

Like other scuba training, an instructor who wants to teach equipment repair has to be certified to teach it in order to be covered by their liability insurance. The problem is that none of the certification agencies want to certify instructors to teach this course - until now.

Recognizing the need, I have designed a course to train the average diver (AOW or higher) to service his or her own regulators, BC's and tank valves. The course title is "Basic Scuba Maintenance and Repair Technician." I have just gotten the course approved as a distinctive specialty by MDEA. I am an MDEA Instructor Evaluator and I may certify both divers and instructors in this specialty. Divers must be at least certified to AOW and have reasonable mechanical aptitude. Instructors need not be certified through MDEA but must be current insured instructors with a recognized agency and must have at least one year's experience working in a position in which their responsibilities included regulator service. Instructors must have performed at least 50 regulator service jobs.

Anyone who is interested in obtaining this training may contact me.

Just recently one agency announced a regulator training course. They are operating it in conjunction with a single equipment manufacturer - Edge. It is limited to one company's regulators and only offered to divers holding technical certification.

Deleted my comment: I initially took this to mean that Edge's regulator servicing training course would be limited to technical divers; but maybe you meant it is open to anyone who competes Edge/HOG's regulator-servicing training, i.e. Edge's "technical certification."

If that's not the case, and if it is limited only to tech divers, then I'll re-post my comments.

B.

Last edited:
B. it is at this time geared towards those who have tech experience and training. Of course I'm also a factory certed tech for another manufacturer. Oh and the second day of the HOG/Edge course requires you to dive with the regs you just serviced. So if you screwed up you'll be the first to know!

B. it is at this time geared towards those who have tech experience and training. Of course I'm also a factory certed tech for another manufacturer. Oh and the second day of the HOG/Edge course requires you to dive with the regs you just serviced. So if you screwed up you'll be the first to know!

I believe your correct with regard to the Edge course.

The course I teach, however, is not limited to a specific brand, nor is it limited to technical divers. Anyone with at least AOW can take my course.

Jim,

Thanks for addressing my question, but I'm still not clear (sorry, it may just be me!). Here are two different interpretations, and I'm not sure which one is correct:

1) Edge/HOG will support any divers in servicing their own regs, as long as they have taken Edge/HOG's own class, which deals with the technical details of servicing their regulators.

2) Same as above but in addition, the divers themselves must have had technical diving training (i.e. be "tech divers" who have taken a tech class from GUE, UTD, etc.).

I hope that makes my question and confusion more clear :)

Situation #1, I would understand and feel good about. If it's situation #2, then I would have more to say.

B.

Jim,

Thanks for addressing my question, but I'm still not clear (sorry, it may just be me!). Here are two different interpretations, and I'm not sure which one is correct:

1) Edge/HOG will support any divers in servicing their own regs, as long as they have taken Edge/HOG's own class, which deals with the technical details of servicing their regulators.

2) Same as above but in addition, the divers themselves must have had technical diving training (i.e. be "tech divers" who have taken a tech class from GUE, UTD, etc.).

I hope that makes my question and confusion more clear :)

Situation #1, I would understand and feel good about. If it's situation #2, then I would have more to say.

B.

I asked. It is the second one. They must be tech divers. After all, if you are not trained in deco; how could you possible be trained to service a regulator.

Back
Top Bottom