regulator technician training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I asked. It is the second one. They must be tech divers. After all, if you are not trained in deco; how could you possible be trained to service a regulator.

awap,

Thanks for checking and for clarifying in this thread.

I have to say, I'm disappointed.

I'm far from being a tech diver (relatively new at diving), but I am mechanically minded, and have done work on my car and on my boat's engine and technical systems, to name a couple of examples. Maybe there is something to this that I don't understand, but currently my feeling is that being a tech diver and being capable of accomplishing technical service on a reg... well, the latter wouldn't necessarily have to follow the former, and vice-versa.

Not that this diminishes the material quality of the HOG regs in any way, but for me it does take away one of the things that was putting them at the top of my list. In addition to potentially being able to service my own regs, I just like(d) the philosophy of allowing those who want to take responsiblity for their own gear to pursue the training.

Darn.

B.

awap,

Thanks for checking and for clarifying in this thread.

I have to say, I'm disappointed.

I'm far from being a tech diver (relatively new at diving), but I am mechanically minded, and have done work on my car and on my boat's engine and technical systems, to name a couple of examples. Maybe there is something to this that I don't understand, but currently my feeling is that being a tech diver and being capable of accomplishing technical service on a reg... well, the latter wouldn't necessarily have to follow the former, and vice-versa.

Not that this diminishes the material quality of the HOG regs in any way, but for me it does take away one of the things that was putting them at the top of my list. In addition to potentially being able to service my own regs, I just like(d) the philosophy of allowing those who want to take responsiblity for their own gear to pursue the training.

Darn.

B.

Then you should probably be looking at Dive Rite or Zeagle. They seem to be supporting information and parts support to diving customers but I am not confident it will continue. Another option is to look at the larger manufacturers and find the gaps in their restrictions against parts and information reaching divers.

Good luck

Recognizing the need, I have designed a course to train the average diver (AOW or higher) to service his or her own regulators, BC's and tank valves. The course title is "Basic Scuba Maintenance and Repair Technician."

Thanks for the info Captain.

While you're not in my neck of the woods, I would like to hear more about your course.

Henrik

FWIW I believe that the reqirement for the HOG maintenance class is fundies or intro to tech or higher. Alot of people wouldn't really consider that technical training. More like foundational classes.

If you look at the cost and time involved servicing your own regs doesn't make a whole lot of sense until the regs start piling up (VIPing your own tanks falls into this category too). So the target audience for this class is generally the tech diving community. I'm not sure why they chose to exclude others from this class, I was just trying to point out that there probably isn't a huge market of people who own one set of regs and want to spend the time and $$ to learn to service them and try to stay proficient at it.

If you look at the cost and time involved servicing your own regs doesn't make a whole lot of sense until the regs start piling up (VIPing your own tanks falls into this category too).

There are quite a few independent instructors who would like to be able to work on their class equipment. There are others, recreational divers included, who just want to maintain their own equipment because they either do not trust the LDS or just feel more comfortable relying on their own work.

There are quite a few independent instructors who would like to be able to work on their class equipment. There are others, recreational divers included, who just want to maintain their own equipment because they either do not trust the LDS or just feel more comfortable relying on their own work.

Agreed. But you did quote me kind of selectively. My point wasn't that there's a good reason to exclude rec divers, just that the overwhelming majority of people who are gonna spend money on a class, specialized tools, ultrasonic cleaner, chemicals etc. are going to be in the technically oriented crowd.

But yes you make a valid point of course and I would be curious to know how HOG arrived at this particular decision.

Agreed. But you did quote me kind of selectively. My point wasn't that there's a good reason to exclude rec divers, just that the overwhelming majority of people who are gonna spend money on a class, specialized tools, ultrasonic cleaner, chemicals etc. are going to be in the technically oriented crowd.

When I quote someone in a post I usually pare the quote down to zero in on the part I am responding to. I think it helps the reader if they don't have to wade through unrelated text.

While it can get quite expensive to set oneself up with everything needed to do open a service business, that is not necessarily true for the diver who just wants to work on their own regulator or training fleet. Many regulators can be serviced without any specialized tools. Some regulators require specialized tools that either are not that expensive or can be fashioned by a talented technician. An ultrasonic cleaner can be economically purchased from Harbor freight or a jewelry cleaner, though not ideal, could be used. The only chemicals usually needed are dish washing detergent, white vinegar and ChristoLube.

But yes you make a valid point of course and I would be curious to know how HOG arrived at this particular decision.

You will have to ask HOG or TDI for an answer to that question. Otherwise, it is just conjecture. Of course, there is little shortage of that on this board.

Servicing regs is not really that hard, its getting parts that is a problem. Any dive master worth his wetsuit should know how to test and tune regulator. Anyway most new regs have free parts for life anyway, provided the reg is serviced by factory trained tecs.

So if I pay a $200 premium to get $1 of free part each year how long will it take for this bargain to pay off? Oh wait the free parts thing isn't a scam is it?

And of course the manufacture’s would require an official training class before you touch a regulator that you own because you will be doing mind boggling complicated tasks like unscrewing things and replacing o-rings. Clearly it would be better to trust your life to an unmotivated minimum wage technician instead. After all that is the industry standard!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom