Regulator Suggestions: Atomic Z2, DGX/Deep 6, Deep 6 Signature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haha, yeah, all the diving I'll do in the forseeable future is cold. How hard is it to service Zeagles? It may have been because I was looking specifically for the old Tech 50D, but I couldn't see much of anything in terms of parts or service fees, and the LDS didn't even list it as an option for service

How cold is cold?

The first stage is a completely different design... Goes way beyond just no swivel.

Not really, it comes down to the cost of parts now. Thats the whole point of making it in the same factory. Thats why it was a great buy by Huish.

I don't understand why everyone feels the need to keep telling me the first stage is completely different, when I clearly said that in my original post. It is environmentally sealed, also has a new sealed cap and yoke knob.

Best reg for the money if you ask me, besides the B2 of course. Super compact.

Breathing Evolved - Introducing the F8 Regulator

40 is getting down there. Atomic m1 may be a better option if you're going to be pushing the cold side.

I like the long interval between servicing for the Atomic, but from what I've seen, universities will require yearly servicing no matter what, even if it isn't needed. So in that case, how much of a hassle was it for you to service your Atomic? Since they are so long-lived, is there a worry about parts being taken out of circulation as other brands move on?

Atomic has been making regs for 20+ years. I can take one of their original regs and completely rebuilt it with the parts that are used in any of their current regs and most would not know. (Shameless plug, I have one for sale).

Please give us some details on your usage in relationship to your University and the need for service.

As for cold water - any of the Atomics can be sealed.

Not really, it comes down to the cost of parts now. Thats the whole point of making it in the same factory. Thats why it was a great buy by Huish.

I don't understand why everyone feels the need to keep telling me the first stage is completely different, when I clearly said that in my original post. It is environmentally sealed, also has a new sealed cap and yoke knob.

Best reg for the money if you ask me, besides the B2 of course. Super compact.

Breathing Evolved - Introducing the F8 Regulator

You said the difference in price between the atomic and the zeagle was due to the swivel. There are many more differences between the two than just a swivel.

I cant see any good reason to pay $100+ more for an f8 than a z2.

You said the difference in price between the atomic and the zeagle was due to the swivel. There are many more differences between the two than just a swivel.

I cant see any good reason to pay $100+ more for an f8 than a z2.

If you would actually read the thread you wouldn't be so behind, I was referring to the second stage. The second stage is exact same (besides the minor differences I already pointed out), with a seat saver design, that allows you to service 2 year interval. This is atomics gig, and was implemented in the Zeagle when Huish bought it and that is why service kits for the second stage, are interchangeable. Also this is why you can get your Zeagle serviced at any Atomic dealer. But I digress, now I am repeating myself.

Edit:
In partnership with Atomic Aquatics, we engineered over 20 different improvements on everything from inner mechanisms and materials to exterior controls and aesthetics. The F8 breathes better, works harder and lasts longer than any other regulator we’ve ever made.

Atomic has been making regs for 20+ years. I can take one of their original regs and completely rebuilt it with the parts that are used in any of their current regs and most would not know. (Shameless plug, I have one for sale).

Please give us some details on your usage in relationship to your University and the need for service.

As for cold water - any of the Atomics can be sealed.

Short term (until August), I'm finishing up my scientific dive cert in OR - 12 dives, right now I'm using rental gear but was hoping to get my own set to try everything out before June. In summer, I'll be doing shallow (~10m/30 ft) dives for invertebrate surveys in ME. Not sure what the weather in summer is there but I believe the water is still in the 50-60 degree range, I know the PI will be diving dry. After that, I'll be back in OR doing research dives when possible. Not sure the needs of that yet. Grad school I'll probably try to still do diving as part of the dissertation, probably won't get any colder than OR diving, might be as warm as the tropics. The university in Maine and my home university both require regulator servicing every 12 months, as far as I can tell from the DSO and the forms they're making me fill out. I doubt they'll make an exception based on manufacturer's recommendations, and I won't be able to ask until tomorrow since it's the weekend here. That's all I know right now

Short term (until August), I'm finishing up my scientific dive cert in OR - 12 dives, right now I'm using rental gear but was hoping to get my own set to try everything out before June. In summer, I'll be doing shallow (~10m/30 ft) dives for invertebrate surveys in ME. Not sure what the weather in summer is there but I believe the water is still in the 50-60 degree range, I know the PI will be diving dry. After that, I'll be back in OR doing research dives when possible. Not sure the needs of that yet. Grad school I'll probably try to still do diving as part of the dissertation, probably won't get any colder than OR diving, might be as warm as the tropics. The university in Maine and my home university both require regulator servicing every 12 months, as far as I can tell from the DSO and the forms they're making me fill out. I doubt they'll make an exception based on manufacturer's recommendations, and I won't be able to ask until tomorrow since it's the weekend here. That's all I know right now

Service requirements are definitely an important conversation to have with them. Do they require a local shop to do theservice, can you perform it yourself, does it have to be staff at the school, etc. All of these questions may make one brand or another more favorable.

From what it sounds like you're describing, for bang of the buck, I'd consider getting a used z2 and having it sealed when you service it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom