Regulator Suggestions: Atomic Z2, DGX/Deep 6, Deep 6 Signature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Atomic B2 is 700 retail and as long as you don't dive cold water I can't see you ever needing another one. Breathes amazing too, even face up, which is uncommon.

Oops just realized you said environmentally sealed, I would get the Zeagle F8, it is basically a sealed B2

Haha, yeah, all the diving I'll do in the forseeable future is cold. How hard is it to service Zeagles? It may have been because I was looking specifically for the old Tech 50D, but I couldn't see much of anything in terms of parts or service fees, and the LDS didn't even list it as an option for service

Also now the Zeagle is made in the same factory as the Atomics, so pretty sure service kits are interchangeable. I almost bought the F8 but since I dive warm water I went with a piston reg, the B2.

But I am pretty sure the F8 and the B2 are the exact same second stage, but I think the B2 auto tunes and the F8 has a lever. I like the coating on the Zeagle, I would think it would preserve it, looks great too. I also like the flat profile of them.

This may be a dumb question, but what's the difference (other than structure) between a piston reg and a diaphragm (which I'm guessing the F8 is)?

This may be a dumb question, but what's the difference (other than structure) between a piston reg and a diaphragm (which I'm guessing the F8 is)?

Ugh oh, you may start a big debate here lol. Someone I know claims you can over breathe a diaphragm reg when diving with high task loading, like spearfishing. I am not sure if that is true, but I know for a fact a piston reg can open all the way up, delivering more air than a diaphragm reg.

So, since I do not need anti-freezing, I went with the performance of a piston reg. Some would argue you can't tell a difference, I am not sure if you could. But if you don't dive cold water, to me, it makes sense to dive a piston reg.

Haha, yeah, all the diving I'll do in the forseeable future is cold. How hard is it to service Zeagles? It may have been because I was looking specifically for the old Tech 50D, but I couldn't see much of anything in terms of parts or service fees, and the LDS didn't even list it as an option for service

Super easy since they are with Atomic now, you can do it at the Atomic dealer. Its like 15 bucks for the kit. It is pretty much an Atomic now, but only $600 instead of $700. I am a fan of Zeagle because the guy who started the company was a sky diver who moved to Florida and started diving.

They are made in California now.

The F8 is a Diaphragm first stage where the Atomic first stages are piston, not the same at all and hence can't use the service kits from Atomic for the F8. I don't see why would anyone buy a Zeagle when the price of the Atomic is the same and maybe even less for the Z2 compared with F8.

Ughh yea...... I said that.

Atomic Z2 (with sealed first stage) is the most durable, reliable, highest performance regulator we have used in our training equipment fleet even when compared with the highest level regulators from other brands. I have personally used most Atomic regulator models and they are all the same in terms of performance and reliability. You can go 3 - 5 years between servicing with Atomic regulators especially if they have sealed first stages (I have just serviced my Atomic ST1 regulator I bought in 2012 for the first time. It performed like new the entire time no issues. It will be another 5 years at least before I service it again.). No other regulator brand I have used in my years as a dive instructor as reliable and trouble free as the Atomic regulators.

I like the long interval between servicing for the Atomic, but from what I've seen, universities will require yearly servicing no matter what, even if it isn't needed. So in that case, how much of a hassle was it for you to service your Atomic? Since they are so long-lived, is there a worry about parts being taken out of circulation as other brands move on?

Super easy since they are with Atomic now, you can do it at the Atomic dealer. Its like 15 bucks for the kit. It is pretty much an Atomic now, but only $600 instead of $700. I am a fan of Zeagle because the guy who started the company was a sky diver who moved to Florida and started diving.

They are made in California now.

Whoa, I thought they were bought by Apeks. Did they switch hands again or did Atomic buy Apeks. All of my brand and gear knowledge came from the last two or three weeks of being on SB looking for gear instead of studying for classes, so I'm not exactly in the know when it comes to manufacturers/brands

Well I don't know what to tell you, the F8 is made in the same factory as the B2. Unless something has changed in the last 6 months. Pretty sure thats not the case, since Huish owns both Atomic and Zeagle.

Thats also why the Zeagle is a 2 year service interval, because of the seat saver.

The only reason the F8 is cheaper is because no swivel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom