Regulator Suggestions: Atomic Z2, DGX/Deep 6, Deep 6 Signature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DBPacific

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello! I'm potentially in the market for my first set of regs. Right now my PI has loaned me his set of Zeagle Tech 50D's which he got in 2001, but the nearest LDS that services Zeagles is an hour away and they put a cost estimate of ~$75-100 and a three week turnaround on them. Since I'd eventually get my own set anyways, I've been looking at different reviews and convos on here. The requirements I have are environmentally sealed (I dive in the PNW so it's cold), relatively easy to service, and less than $1000. The DGX/Deep 6 is nice because it's very affordable and I like the 90 degree swivel (apparently the Signature can have that too but I couldn't see that option in the 'customize' menu), I've heard the Signature has lower lifetime costs and is almost ridiculously easy to service, and the Atomic is a fantastic deal for regs that usually go way out of a student's budget (and I really like the wide exhaust tee for 2nd stage). I do NOT want to start a brand identity war, please. I'm just looking for advice and personal/technical experience on:
1) the durability/lifetime of these three
2) ease of servicing, both in getting LDS's to do it, mailing it out, or possibility of self-service and how much to expect to pay for servicing.
3) if you've used more than one I listed, how did they compare?

I know that mixing and matching is an option but I'm very new to the specifics of equipment and a little scared of messing that up. If self-service is an option, I'd probably take any class required for it after this summer because getting the rest of my gear has basically cleaned me out of my comfortable spending money without dipping into my emergency/necessary reserves.

Thanks all (and apologies for the paragraphs)

You can't go wrong with the Deep6 Signature series. Either self service or send them to Deep6 for fast turnaround and fair pricing for service.

You can't go wrong with the Deep6 Signature series. Either self service or send them to Deep6 for fast turnaround and fair pricing for service.

Is there anything I'd be missing with the Signatures that I'd get with the DGX or Atomic?

I don't have any experience with Atomic but the Deep6 Signature has everything that the DGX has and more. The DGX is Basically the HOG D1 which I also have and the Deep6 Signature is better but both are solid regulators. My understanding with Atomic is that if you want them to be sealed service cost is more due to the need to pack the first stage with lubricant which if you are using Nitrox should be expensive Oxygen compatible type, however that is just my understanding, I don't have first hand knowledge.

The Atomic B2 is 700 retail and as long as you don't dive cold water I can't see you ever needing another one. Breathes amazing too, even face up, which is uncommon.

Oops just realized you said environmentally sealed, I would get the Zeagle F8, it is basically a sealed B2

I have a z2 as my main regulator and a deep 6 signature for my pony tank so I have first hand experience with both and have done side by side breathing tests while sitting in safety stops.

I prefer the z2 to the deep 6 reg, a little. They perform very similar, but I think the z2 breathes slightly better. In full disclosure, I performed the breathing adjustments on both, using the trusty bucket o water method, so this could come down to me having adjusted the z2 better. I like that the z2 first stage feels a little smaller in my mouth, even with the larger m1 exhaust tee added to it.

You're not going to go wrong with either, so it really comes down to your servicing desires.

Atomic Z2 (with sealed first stage) is the most durable, reliable, highest performance regulator we have used in our training equipment fleet even when compared with the highest level regulators from other brands. I have personally used most Atomic regulator models and they are all the same in terms of performance and reliability. You can go 3 - 5 years between servicing with Atomic regulators especially if they have sealed first stages (I have just serviced my Atomic ST1 regulator I bought in 2012 for the first time. It performed like new the entire time no issues. It will be another 5 years at least before I service it again.). No other regulator brand I have used in my years as a dive instructor as reliable and trouble free as the Atomic regulators.

Get yourself an Atomic and be done with it.

Remember, “Before Atomic Aquatics, there was no best in scuba diving”.

Get yourself an Atomic and be done with it.

Remember, “Before Atomic Aquatics, there was no best in scuba diving”.

Also now the Zeagle is made in the same factory as the Atomics, so pretty sure service kits are interchangeable. I almost bought the F8 but since I dive warm water I went with a piston reg, the B2.

But I am pretty sure the F8 and the B2 are the exact same second stage, but I think the B2 auto tunes and the F8 has a lever. I like the coating on the Zeagle, I would think it would preserve it, looks great too. I also like the flat profile of them.

Edit: Oh and no swivel on the Zeagle.

Also now the Zeagle is made in the same factory as the Atomics, so pretty sure service kits are interchangeable. I almost bought the F8 but since I dive warm water I went with a piston reg, the B2.

But I am pretty sure the F8 and the B2 are the exact same second stage, but I think the B2 auto tunes and the F8 has a lever. I like the coating on the Zeagle, I would think it would preserve it, looks great too.

The F8 is a Diaphragm first stage where the Atomic first stages are piston, not the same at all and hence can't use the service kits from Atomic for the F8. I don't see why would anyone buy a Zeagle when the price of the Atomic is the same and maybe even less for the Z2 compared with F8.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom