Regulator Soaking - Mistake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The F8 borrows the Atomic Seat saver where it relaxes a bit when not pressurized.

Personally, I only soak 2nd stages and Octo Zs, and only when pressurized. 1st stages (F7 & DS-V) get rinsed only. Both are environmentally sealed, so the internals stay dry. If diving in salt initial soak/rinse is done with a Salt Off solution, then rinsed with plain water. DS-V is around 17 years old and still works great. Both are serviced regularly, and techs have commented about how clean they are.

ok, that’s news to me. I always soak my flathead 7, and hasn’t serviced it in 3 years I think. I have the kits, just don’t want to be fixing something that ain’t broke.

i did not read the whole thread but i would take issue with people telling you it is ok to soak your entire reg set. although i see divers do this quite often.
any reg tech i have even talked to has always said to "never" submerge the first stage of your reg unless it is pressurized.
typically (with the dust cap on) a good rinse while running under fresh water is enough for the first stage.
if you want to soak the second stages and hoses, you can do so but do not push the purge button while submerged.

If you look at the sentence of mine you quoted, you will see the answer. He did not trust dust caps to keep the water out.

Got it, thanks. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a case of "we've done extensive and rigorous testing on the soaking of AL regs and found that it causes them to die prematurely."

A bit ironic... AL saw fit to include the "ACD" on my reg, which keeps the first stage sealed when it's not under pressure. Maybe it was motivated by the general distrust of the dustcaps and the recognition that some people are going to soak their regs anyway.

. Maybe it was motivated by the general distrust of the dustcaps and the recognition that some people are going to soak their regs anyway.
...as this thread clearly demonstrates.

New diver here. :snorkels:

I signed up for a series of 5 dive trips with a local dive shop. (All dives were SALT-WATER)

After each trip, I left to go back to the hotel, however, the dive shop retained my gear (BC, Regs) and I'm assuming properly cleansed and prepared the gear for the next trip. So far, so good.

Following the final dive , I just packed up my gear and went back to the hotel. I tried to follow the best advice I found here on SB regarding the cleansing of my gear, however, it "appears" as if, at times, these opinions conflict.

Although I'm a total newbie, I have spent considerable $$$ on new gear (Ranger BC - Envoy II Regs, etc) and I just want to be able to care for my gear so that each dive is as safe as possible.

Upon returning to the hotel, here's what I did. Please advise if I've done anything I shouldn't have or if I've done something incorrectly. Thank you, in advance.

BCD
1. Placed my BC under the shower, turning frequently, for about 30 minutes.
2. Filled my bladder (25%) with fresh water and air...swooshed around...emptied upside down using deflator. Emptied dump valves and squeezed the BC tight draining as much water as possible. Set aside to dry.

REGS
Filled the tub with lukewarm water. Made sure DUST CAP was securely attached to 1st stage, and soaked the entire regulator set for about 45 minutes. I hung to dry.

NOTE: During the hanging/drying process, I removed the DUST CAP just to air out / dry out the 1st stage.

That's all I did. Am I good to go?
Thanks again for the continuing education! :scubadiver:
My technique is usually by way of a pool dunk and hose. Most docks should have a hose.

I normally dunk or rinse regs while pressurized. I have rinsed them depressurized, never dunked.

That said, the thing that will keep your gear lasting longer is preventing dry rot. Silicone spray your bc when you get home and after it's fully dry and your gear will last much longer. CorrosionX on metals like flash lights, scissors, knives. Anything that typically isn't 316L stainless steel.

I would never soak my regs like that.

I don’t have dust caps on my 1st stages but even if I did I still wouldn’t.

the thought of water travelling up from the 2nd stage up the hoses and into the 1st stage makes me cringe.

no thanks. I’ll just spray down with a hose and give it a quick swish in a rinse tank if needed.

These are all great opinions and suggestions. I would like to ask if someone can share a video or manual from the manufactures or manufacturer website on the proper steps to clean gear?

The following is just an excerpt from Aqua Lung website: (as an example)

1. As soon as possible after diving, the regulator should be rinsed thoroughly with fresh water while it is attached to a cylinder and pressurized with air.
  2. Rinsing alone, however, will not sufficiently clean the regulator. To clean the regulator as thoroughly as possible Aqua Lung recommends:
  3. Attach the regulator to a charged SCUBA cylinder, open the cylinder valve to pressurize the regulator, and thoroughly soak both the first and second-stages in a bath of fresh water.While the regulator is soaking, move the vane adjustment switch on the second stage (if present) back and forth several times from the “MIN” (or “—”) to the “MAX” (or “+”) settings. You may also turn the valve adjustment knob (adjustable models) slightly back and forth—no more than 1/4 turn.
  4. After the regulator has been properly soaked, it is important to rinse it vigorously by flushing the mainspring cavity of the first stage regulator (non- environmentally sealed models only), the second-stage mouthpiece, and the openings in the second-stage front cover with a pressurized stream of water. This will remove the deposits of salt and minerals that were loosened during soaking.

These are all great opinions and suggestions. I would like to ask if someone can share a video or manual from the manufactures or manufacturer website on the proper steps to clean gear?
That’s a good request. I checked manuals for both my Zeagle regs. They essentially state the same thing.

It’s on page 13 at the link below.
Basically, secure the dust cap, Rinse 1st and 2nds with clean fresh water taking care to not press the purge button.
Reconnect to air supply and purge 2nds to blow out excess water.
Allow to air dry before storing.

There is also mention of using soap based cleansers if additional sanitizing is needed (rentals, etc.). I couldn’t find anything about soaking as part of post dive care, so I’m taking that to mean that Zeagle doesn’t really recommend that practice. There were additional cautions around keeping water out of the inlet as that is a major cause of corrosion.

Based on that, I’ll continue doing what I’ve always done, though I take it a little further by soaking pressurized 2nds while cleaning other things.

https://www.huishoutdoors.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/1Flathead-7_Owners_Manual_175-1653.pdf

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom