Regulator Service Technician Training - Unrestricted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for offering this, it sounds awesome. I can see how it will be difficult to do such a normally hands-on training online, but it's wonderful to reach lots more people who wouldn't be able to access the training otherwise. I hope it works out.

How does your course compare to the recently announced remote DRIS Edge/HOG training discussed here: HOG/EDGE On-Line Class ? You'll be covering multiple types of regs instead of one brand?

What methods of adjustment will be covered in the second stage tuning "cracking effort" section? I was all ready to dive into the Apeks XTX100 regs I recently bought for my wife and I until all the discussion of magnahelics and cracking effort came up on another thread.... suddenly I felt like a diver with no wetsuit or BCD and 25 pounds of weight on my belt.
We'll cover the full gamut of tuning aids.
Screwdriver and repeated hose disassembly vs. an inline adjuster.
Magnehelic vs. a plastic u-tube of water vs. sink vs. "doing it by feel".

Don't plan on having to buy anything you don't already want, until you see what you need for your own reg sets. We'll show you how to do it accurately on a budget, and quickly with extra toys.

Reactions: OTF
How does your course compare to the recently announced DRIS Edge/HOG training discussed here: HOG/EDGE On-Line Class ? You'll be covering multiple types of regs instead of one brand?
Exactly. We'll teach you not only how to "parts change" your particular regulator, but demonstrate how to implement your knowledge of the theory to solve a problem.
HOG courses are as good as their instructor, and they have the added benefit of getting you privileged to buy HOG service kits.
My course will cover Apeks/HOG/Deep6 sealed diaphragms, but also piston regs. I'll start with tool handling, which might be boring for someone who already knows his/her way around a regulator, but I hope there will be new tricks in there for everybody. After "parts changing" we'll circle back to theory, and then look at multiple regs with a variety of problems and learn how to diagnose them.
Seeing a breadth of reg design might help you decide why you should be happy or unhappy with what you've bought, or how to choose the set you want to keep and service yourself for the next 30 years.
In two long days, we'll be able to cover a lot of ground.

I was at a local shop getting tanks filled and we were talking about the manufacturer class. Apparently it's like 90 minutes and your certified for that reg WTF?

I was at a local shop getting tanks filled and we were talking about the manufacturer class. Apparently it's like 90 minutes and your certified for that reg WTF?
Well actually, they're usually three hours. :rofl3:

But yup! That's why you really need some basic training first. That's why one hears so many complaints about "shop monkeys". Most shops aren't big enough to really apprentice a new technician.

Well, actually they're usually three hours. :rofl3:

But yup! That's why you really need some basic training first. That's why one hears so many complaints about "shop monkeys". Most shops aren't big enough to really apprentice a new technician.

At that one one of the owners is the only tec.

I've done the mfg class for DiveRite, Oceanic, and Deep6; the first two were 3-4h and did not cover very much, and assumed a lot of prior knowledge, the last was maybe 6h+ and assumed almost nothing, but of course only covered one first and one second, so not oodles of regs like DR and Oceanic.

If you want experience on both, a junker from eBay would be a great addition to the course. We'll certainly be demo'ing disassembly and service of both, but there's nothing like feeling it with your own hands.
Pistons are Mk5, Mk10's, Mk25, Atomic, TUSA cylindrical firsts.
Diaphragms are Apeks, HOG, Deep6, Aqualung, Hollis.
Once we get the participants settled, we may be able to do some exchanges for the class. For example, I have Mares diaphragm firsts and unbalanced seconds that I don't use that I could loan out. We'd just have to figure out if the savings on buying old regs would be cancelled out by the cost of extra tools for working on a different brand.

Since time is going the be short, I would suggest a few different regs. I see no need for a a bunch of flow thorough pistons (Mk-5/10/25/ Atomic) since they are very similar, rather pick a common one (MK-5) as an example. I don't see a simple flow by piston in the mix (Mk-2) so one of those is a must. I have not kept up with HOG or Hollis so I'm not familiar with them but the newer Aqualung regs, as are many other balanced diaphragms, are the basically the Apeks design so throwing in an older style USD design- Conshelf or Titan rather than several of the same basic design would IMO be a better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom