Regulator Service Technician Training - Unrestricted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep me posted, I already have a first and second and was literally about to order the tools but if your working a deal I'll wait and order once it's in place.

I should have more info from Bruce at Scubatools in a couple of weeks.

This sounds like a great plan you've outlined. I've very interested.

This sounds like a great plan you've outlined. I've very interested.
If the dates work for you, send me a message and we'll start exchanging info. Glad you're interested!

One SB'er PM'ed:
I’ve been doing my own servicing of old-style XXX regs for some time. I have a solid collection of basic hand and scuba tools and parts, but far from comprehensive. I’m missing some of the more esoteric ones (including a magnehelic). I would like to know what tools will be required. $300 for the class is a good chunk, and if I need $200 worth of tools, that will push it too high, But I don’t want to miss a spot because I’m waiting on a tool list :)

Also, what would you recommend for regs to work on? I have plenty of XXX firsts and seconds. I also have my main YYY, but I need them to work perfectly when I’m done, so maybe not the best to use for the class... But those are the style I’m most interested in learning to service at this point.

Feel free to answer in-thread if it would be relevant for others. Thank you!

If you really want to do this course, but funds are tight, drop me a Message. I'm not doing private deals, but once I learn exactly what regs you want to service, we can individually trim tools to the minimum. There are LOTS of workarounds.
For example, ScubaTools socket hex keys are $19 apiece, but an entire set of Chinese knockoffs is $15-30. While you'll need at least one precisely machined one for your DIN bolt (we'll explain why in class), if you're servicing a yoke reg or a junker, you can get by with cheap keys or none at all.
Similarly, if you're one of the dozens that love the Mk5, borrowing a buddy's Makita hand grinder can save you $15 for this critical thin wall socket to torque your delicate turret bolt, by thinning down a cheap automotive deep socket from Home Depot.
IMG_20210307_131723.jpg

Things like this can cut your initial tool cost to $50-$100.
If that gets you over the dollar hurdle into the course, I'll work with you.

A related question. It looks like we would need to have on hand both piston and diaphragm firsts and balanced and unbalanced seconds to get the most out of this course. Am I reading this right?

I see that both balanced and unbalanced regulators are included. Is there a list anywhere of which regulators are which? In case somebody wanted to have both on hand for the class? Thanks!

If you want experience on both, a junker from eBay would be a great addition to the course. We'll certainly be demo'ing disassembly and service of both, but there's nothing like feeling it with your own hands.
Pistons are Mk2, Mk5, Mk10's, Mk25, Atomic, TUSA cylindrical firsts.
Diaphragms are Apeks, HOG, Deep6, Aqualung, Hollis.
Send me pics of what you've got and I'll advise.
Napascuba@gmail.com

What methods of adjustment will be covered in the second stage tuning "cracking effort" section? I was all ready to dive into the Apeks XTX100 regs I recently bought for my wife and I until all the discussion of magnahelics and cracking effort came up on another thread.... suddenly I felt like a diver with no wetsuit or BCD and 25 pounds of weight on my belt.

magnelic gauge is to measure your tuning, but not required. you can use a bucket of water to get a less precise measurement. or just tune as light as possible with a reliable lockup and don't worry whether it is 0.9 inches or 1.1 inches with adjustable 2nds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom