Regulator Service Interval

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gussy

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been using my regulator doing about 5 years but I've only used it for about 6 dives a year (during vacation). Does it need to be serviced now?

Most manufacturers want their regulators to be serviced once a year to keep their warranty and free parts. Since you are already past that mark, I would rely on this link http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/260452-regulator-checklist-inspection.html to determine if its time for a servicing. I doubt its in any condition to warrant a service after 6 dives, but you never know.... I guess certain parts can rot if not stored properly... so atleast give it a once over with the tips listed on the link. :)

Thanks! It's actual 6 dives a year for 5 years. I've done checking each year before using but someone I know will actually send their regulator to a shop.

Do Couv's checks in the above thread and you should be fine. I do a similar check before every dive trip and when a reg just does not seem "right". Do yourself a big favor and get the IP gauge and learn to use it, it will often tell you your reg is in need of help long before it starts giving real trouble.
Proper care after the dive is much more important than annual service unless you don't properly care for the regs, then annual service covers your lack of care..........."You" as in general diving public, not you personally. :)

It's not always a matter of how many dives you've done with a regulator but the length of time as well. Rubber/silicone parts get dried up and cracked, and need to be replaced. Metal parts may get corroded as well. Sometimes a least use regulator is in worse shape than a well used regulator just because of these issues. It's a good idea to have the regulators inspected on an annual basis.

My personal opinion, after 5 years of good service, it is probably time to get it looked over. Time is the enemy here. Rubber orings and the such take a beating through time. Would you rather have the reg serviced now before you go on vacation or deal with a problem when you are on vacation and take the chance that the resort you are at can't fix it. Now you have to use a rental reg from them and not your own. Just some food for thought.

More food for thought...many (most?) reg problems happen just after service rather than after a long intervel after the service.

Time and use will take their toll on a regulator but, with good user care, modern materials are really quite durable. Some regulator technicians OTOH are quite adept at taking a perfectly good regulator and making perform poorly or, worse yet, dangerous to dive. You can avoid most of these potential problems by learning how to do a good inspection of your own gear.

If you have taken good care of your gear, 30 dives is nothing. And even 5 years may well be OK but it does need a good inspection.

The answer entirely depends on how well it was serviced last time and how well it's been rinsed and stored during the 5 years. If it was new when you bought it, meaning it's never been serviced, it could probably use a good tuning, but if you've rinsed it well, meaning soaking it in clean fresh water after salt water use, and storing it clean and dry in room temp, out of direct sunlight, without the hoses flexed in some weird way, it's probably fine. If you can check the IP and do the leak tests, and it passes everything, it's probably good to go.

I'm currently on the 2~3 year service plan plan! :D

I'd say a service every five years is certainly not over doing it. If you do get it serviced, make sure to allow time for it to go BACK to service if necessary. I'm not saying that will happen, but more folks seem to have issues right after service vs. any other time.

I used TDL for my last service, and was very happy with them. Our LDS decided that service is now worth the cost of a second stage, so they are out of the picture... a shame that, but I have three first stages, and five seconds. I can't afford to pay $360 to have them all done locally!

Back
Top Bottom