Regulator repair technician classes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cappyjon431

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
We are located in a remote location and I am trying to find information on getting my technician certified for servicing regulators. He has written to several manufacturers, but has not had one email returned. He is currently certified on ScubaPro (we are a ScubaPro dealer), but he would like to get training on other brands of regulators. If he becomes certified to repair/service other brands, would he be able to get parts for these brands? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your best bet is for him to go to a DEMA show were he can attend several classes in a few days. He/ she may be able to get there PSI tank inspection certification at the same time.

There are other large dive shows around the US were many manufacturers and other dive businesses get together. That would be another opportunity to take several regulator repair classes in one single trip. I am thinking for example "Beneath the Sea" in new Jersey (that one is in the Spring) and there are many others. I know there is one in Chicago, one Seattle, at least one in Florida (Miami), but maybe more. There is also Boston Sea Rovers in the spring.

Buena suerte

It depends on the brand. Many companies won't "officially" sell parts unless you are a dealer for them. What happens around here is that some dealers cooperate by selling to each other or just sending the reg and getting reciprocal cooperation. HOG, Diverite, and apollo for sure will sell kits to anyone including the reg owner. I have heard that Zeagle will as well but don't know for sure. If he can do sp he should be able to service any. The manuals for most are on line at frogkick.dk parts will be the issue unless you can set up a deal with some stateside dealers. Pm me for some places that might be willing to do this.

We are located in a remote location and I am trying to find information on getting my technician certified for servicing regulators. He has written to several manufacturers, but has not had one email returned. He is currently certified on ScubaPro (we are a ScubaPro dealer), but he would like to get training on other brands of regulators. If he becomes certified to repair/service other brands, would he be able to get parts for these brands? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As someone wrote the shows usually have seminars for dealers to have employees trained on their products.As for parts, most will not sell you parts unless you are also a dealer doing business with them.

Yeah it really depends on the mfg. For instance, AquaLung, ScubaPro, Atomic, and I am sure others will not let you into their courses unless you are 1) a shop employee 2) the shop is a dealer for them. There are a few companies that are more open and there is also a couple independent courses but the folks who put them on I can not recall.

If your tech is comfortable with both piston and diaphragm ScubaPro regs already I would say getting the manual for the others as well as Vance and Peter's books would be good enough for doing emergency repairs.

Back
Top Bottom