Regulator record - anyone beat this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caseybird:
No. :shakehead
What is PADI tecahing now? When I was certified, it was 60 feet per minute, and the safety stop was optional on most dives.

AFAIK Padi teached saftey stops only when you are within 3 groups of your NDL So at 60' that would be 49 minutes.

Since they are not doing a safety stop, they might be able to reach the surface using only 80 ft3 of air.

ekewaka:
Since they are not doing a safety stop, they might be able to reach the surface using only 80 ft3 of air.

I say we give it a whirl, but that means we would probably need multiple people w/ 4 regs setups just in case.

What is a normal SAC rate for three panicked divers and a fat woman?

PADI teaches ascent rates?
:popcorn:

SparticleBrane:
PADI teaches ascent rates?
:popcorn:
They have minimums, not maximums. I think 60 is the minimum. They have to keep it low because some people can't do a cesa faster than that.

ekewaka:
They have minimums, not maximums. I think 60 is the minimum. They have to keep it low because some people can't do a cesa faster than that.
Better get a copy of the instructor manual and read it before posting something like this. I'm a PADI DM and even though I don't agree with alot of their stuff and will probably go to NAUI for my instructor's cert they are not that stupid to suggest minimum ascent rates.PADI's recommended MAXIMUM ascent rate is 60 ft per minute or 1 ft per second. 30fpm is preferred and that is what we teach. Why in God's name would anyone want to do a CESA faster than that(60fpm). If you've been properly trained a 60fpm cesa is not difficult. Any faster than that risks injury from lung overexpansion, problems associated with reverse blockages, even an AGE is not out of the realm of possibility. There are no minimum ascent rates. You can come up at 2 fpm if you want to. Slower is always better.

Ok...I think the main problem here is that this woman had a very bad experience that she had not been trained or properly trained to handle. A freeflow will panic alot of divers (experienced or not) and unfortunately, instead of being trained to deal with it after the fact, she opted for more gadgets. How long had this couple been certified and how often had they dove? I know many divers who have dove maybe 2x since their checkout dives last year. Unfortunately, her gear choices have now made her more of a hazzard to herself and others. Upon seeing their setup I would have tried to make suggestions and really been honest with them to try to get them to do a lot more training to deal with her issues. I understand people are hard headed but people need to have a reality check too. I am still learning so much about this sport and am very welcome to suggestions to become a better diver and buddy. I do hope that they will not become another sad statistic, but at this rate it will happen sooner than later.

BTW...the weight comments didn't bother me. I have lost 85lbs over the last year and have about 30 to go! I would never have begun diving at my former weight just because I didn't want the added risks. Plus I wanted to look cute in a wetsuit! LOL! :wink:

Happy Safe Diving Y'all!
Carolyn :sharks:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom