Regulator Prob "in my head"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
which one do you have?

how often do you service?

well fares are dirt cheap. I better get out of here...I might get in trouble. I am in the crosshairs again. I TRY and talk about diving.

Mares Proton Ice...the powder blue one! :wink: Service once a year, never had a problem with it. I know most of the So Fla MOFia are all diving the SP S600 and absolutely love it! I saw that 650 on sale somewhere recently...I'll see if I can find it! Must have been in an email.

Yep...Scubatoys!

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=MK25S650

hey jay!

Hudini man. feels loose, yea?

Can you review my post on how you get out of your gear in the water? Its back a page.

please? I need clarification on the sequence, especially the part about swimming out of the harness.

thanks jen, I don't have any money. Thats why I must steal his reg for awhile.

catherine96821:
hey jay!

Hudini man. feels loose, yea?

Can you review my post on how you get out of your gear in the water? Its back a page.

please? I need clarification on the sequence, especially the part about swimming out of the harness.

thanks jen, I don't have any money. Thats why I must steal his reg for awhile.

You pretty much had it. I don't spin around though to remove the long hose though.

Here is how I do it.

take long-hose reg out of mouth unwrap and hold,
remove necklace,
replace long-hose reg in mouth,
release waist strap and crotch strap,
drop down out of straps with arms up or you can drop arms to sides and swim forward out.

Here would be my idea for your incident. This is how I do with my mountain climbing if something happens.

Think through the whole event and ask yourself questions along the way and see if your fear is well placed or not and what you can change to use it as a learning experience.

Here is an example, (I will put in some fictional answers for illustration only).

Out of water--
--Did I check my tank before I got in? Yes
--Did somebody else turn my tank knob? Yes
---Corrective action--stop somebody if they start to touch my tank knob (actually did this on a boat last week) and modify my pre-dive to check my tank valve when I am actually standing on the edge of the boat.

In water--
--Did I handle the OOA properly? No
---Corrective action--practice OOA drills with my buddies more often.
--Was my buddy close enough? Yes.
--Did my buddy handle the situation properly? Yes

And so on and so on. You can break it down as much as possible until you feel you have covered the all the points that need to be.

thanks.

So..is your wing inflated only slightly?

drop down out of straps with arms up or you can drop arms to sides and swim forward out.

Dive SOON! get sitter--wife can enjoy a boat ride and man radio.

I have been working on it...almost better.

yes, analysis can form a decision tree.

I learned

check gauge while purge! Purge longer!

probably cannot guard my gear realisticly.

beware of others hands as you splash off.

OOA...if able ascend a bit and try again if solo.

understand pressures of the first stage, hose and second and implications of at descending depths in relation to time, etc.

Just add a Mod Valve drill to your Mod S pre dive drill (you do those right?) It's emphasized in Fundies to perform your SADDDD brief a Mod -S and Mod V after you are fully geared up...

I'm sorry if this will up set anyone but there is a reason why people suggest to take the class.... because sometimes things like this get missed.

Edit:

Mod Valve drill = Reach behind and verify the position of your valve(s)

Mod S = Deploy Long hose and bungied back up and make sure both work and the full length is accessable

To do both take about 1 minute

Catherine:
How can you be talking about following DIR and petty BS like mouth pieces, when you refuse to follow their most basic rule of not solo diving?

A little problem shakes you up in 60 feet and you now feel insucure about the regulator. Any regulator could blow a hose at any time. I dive solo with the mentaility that every breath may be my last from that particular first and second stage. I take a pony on nearly every dive, even in 60 ft dive. I think you should pay attention to the feeling of insecurity and do something about it. Getting the regulator serviced will not ensure anything.

I believe that probably 95% of the people that scuba dive would have a big problem if their air just stopped at 60 feet. Your experience just reaffirms this in my mind.

dumpsterDiver:
Catherine:
How can you be talking about following DIR and petty BS like mouth pieces, when you refuse to follow their most basic rule of not solo diving?

A little problem shakes you up in 60 feet and you now feel insucure about the regulator. Any regulator could blow a hose at any time. I dive solo with the mentaility that every breath may be my last from that particular first and second stage. I take a pony on nearly every dive, even in 60 ft dive. I think you should pay attention to the feeling of insecurity and do something about it. Getting the regulator serviced will not ensure anything.

I believe that probably 95% of the people that scuba dive would have a big problem if their air just stopped at 60 feet. Your experience just reaffirms this in my mind.

Very sensitive. I'm sure Catherine said DIR was a starting point. In any case, she managed a calm OOA ascent, and is analyzing the incident and ALL it's implications rather than spouting macho BS

Rather than just having the reg serviced, you might want to find a shop with a proper breathing machine or flow bench (not all shops bother with them), and have the reg tested while you watch. Then you will be able to actually see, and quantify, how well it is working. This can be much more convincing than having someone just stick the reg in his/her mouth, take a few puffs, and say "Yup, feels OK to me". If is really some some not-obvious problem, throwing in another rebuild kit may not address it.

BTW we all have our little rituals but one of mine is to take three really fast deep breaths from my reg before entering the water. That consumes enough air to confirm that the valve is open enough that I will at least not die, and it puts enough load on the reg to give me a little feeling for how well the reg is working.

he he...yea!

well...he has a point.

Basically Dumpster...I like diving alone and I really don't know why it shook me up. It has sorta started bothering me more later...like a delayed reaction.

I think people often get paranoid after a mishap and I am just getting people's opinions. I have probably been diving as long as you...and still alive, never bent so, basically I think I am doing the stroke thing successfully.

I love taking from DIR but just don't agree with giving up solo. There really are no rules in diving unless you choose them.. BS mouthpiece issues?

Again, I need a longer more secure one because now that I am taking my gear off in the water, and new at diving on my own boat, I am encountering some fresh problems, after 35 years of diving.

I am facing new potential problems....boat mooring issues, doffing and donning, trying to learn the radio and GPS...so maybe I am overwhelmed and need to slow down. But give up solo? or my respect for DIR methods and gear? Nope. Besides, everybody knows many DIR divers solo, they just are mum about it so that the family doesn't get upset. Hate to break it to you, but some Catholics even use birth control.

Good advice oxyhacker. I have always wanted to see inside one while it functions, and never have.

Back
Top Bottom