Regulator Geeks 3: Reg Performance at Max Safe Gas Density

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is impressive. I'm looking forward to your next Regulator geeks IOT hear what you found during this test.

@rsingler - thanks for your dedication to a scientific approach to SCUBA regulators and for sharing your expertise here on SB. You make a compelling difference in the quality of this virtual community.

Hope you have some underwater shots for fodder for various potential scuba memes

Well, we're just about ready to go!
Let's have our third get-together next Tuesday, December 6, 2022 from 6:00-7:30pm PST (9:00-10:30pm EST).

Here's the Zoom Connection Info.

Meeting ID: 874 8458 5294
Passcode: 6054

Looking forward to chatting again!
Title.jpg

Slide1.jpg

What, no spoilers?

Just a terminology clarification: the Jet Stream is primarily a pilot assisted or servo assisted demand valve. Therefore, it could maybe be referred to as a upstream pilot or upstream servo demand valve.

A true upstream demand valve would be the old 1960's tilt valves. Since the tilt valves are not in production, it is not likely to create a confusion, but it normally good to keep the correct terminology, even if we take short cuts when we talk about it.

Just a terminology clarification: the Jet Stream is primarily a pilot assisted or servo assisted demand valve. Therefore, it could maybe be referred to as a upstream pilot or upstream servo demand valve.

A true upstream demand valve would be the old 1960's tilt valves. Since the tilt valves are not in production, it is not likely to create a confusion, but it normally good to keep the correct terminology, even if we take short cuts when we talk about it.
Sorry, @Luis H !
I couldn't fit Servo Assisted Demand Valve on the slide. :wink:

What, no spoilers?
I'm still waiting for a still from the Go Pro video that my safety diver carried after we finished the experiment. We did a second dive on the Spiegel an hour later and ran into a huge Goliath Grouper inside Deck 2. We must've followed him around for four or five minutes before he skedaddled. Was interesting being in close quarters with a fish that big.

But no. No pics of the experiment.
I confess, we were on our bellies in the sand inside the wreck. Since I didn't know how long all our tests would take without exceeding our gas plan and deco time, there was no other way to quickly move from reg to reg without lying down in front of a spread of hoses. It's bad enough that I'm even admitting that, without adding a picture to memorialize the cluster.

OK...
I would still referred to it as a servo-valve, more than upstream, but that is just me. :wink:
I dealt with upstream valves decades ago...

Back
Top Bottom