regulator mix and match

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wasabean

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Guys,

I have a question regarding mix and matching 1sts, 2nds, and octos. My GF bought a used Sherwood reg setup diveshop that closed shop, not sure the model, but it looks like the Sherwood Magnum (Sherwood Magnum Regulator, | LeisurePro). The problem is, the straight 1st bothers her under and above water and affects her trim and occasionally hits her in the back of the head. she wants to replace the 1st stage with one that is 90degrees. question is, since she has no problems with the 2nd and octo she wants to keep those and just buy another 1st stage, is it possible to buy another brand of 1st stage and use her current regs on those?

Leisurpro sells a Sherwood 1st stage only but its for 2013 regs, so I dn't think her regs will work with those.

I'm curious what the Sherwood gurus have to say about that listing at LeisurePro. I went to the Sherwood manufacturers website, and only saw 2nd stages listed... no mention of the first stage on LP's page, or any 1st stage for that matter.... strange.

But in general, you should be able to pair most any 2nd stage with most any first stage. You adjust or "tune" the 2nd stage to the 1st stage's intermediate pressure.

Best wishes.

Any 1st stage will work. That post reads to me like it should have a comma in there somewhere.Or better yet like this:

2013 Sherwood 1st Stage Regulator only.

Hey Guys,

I have a question regarding mix and matching 1sts, 2nds, and octos. My GF bought a used Sherwood reg setup diveshop that closed shop, not sure the model, but it looks like the Sherwood Magnum (Sherwood Magnum Regulator, | LeisurePro). The problem is, the straight 1st bothers her under and above water and affects her trim and occasionally hits her in the back of the head. she wants to replace the 1st stage with one that is 90degrees. question is, since she has no problems with the 2nd and octo she wants to keep those and just buy another 1st stage, is it possible to buy another brand of 1st stage and use her current regs on those?

Leisurpro sells a Sherwood 1st stage only but its for 2013 regs, so I dn't think her regs will work with those.

I don't know how a straight vs right angled first could possibly affect her trim, and as far hitting her in the back of the head, it's possible that a different 1st stage will protrude less, but not by much and it's unlikely that it would solve her problem. What would do it is simply moving the tank down so that the 1st stage is a bit lower, although that would affect her trim, maybe it would solve both apparent problems. Try experimenting until she finds the optimum spot for the tank before switching regulators. Trim is really affected by weight placement and distribution, has very little to do with the regulator.

IMO the sherwood 2nd stages are no great shakes to begin with, so replacing the 1st stage, especially for $170, does not sound like a good idea to me. It is possible that the port sizes are different on the 'new' sherwood, I don't know why they would say "for 2013 only..."

But if she does really want a new regulator and you can't solve the issues simply by moving things around, just get a whole new set with higher performing 2nd stages, that way she'll get something more out of the switch.

@halocline i think the problem is when she has proper trim she can only look down, once she tries to look forward or slight up the back of her head bangs the 1st stage. to compensate for that, her trim is at about a 45degree angle an dthen she is able to look forward without the 1st stage contacting the back of her head, you know what i mean? we've discussed getting a new 1st and 2nd and reusing the octo and guages but she said she likes the sherwood primary and doesnt mind using that for now.

Any 1st stage will work. That post reads to me like it should have a comma in there somewhere.Or better yet like this:

2013 Sherwood 1st Stage Regulator only.

Ahhh, I bet you're right Jim.

I obviously didn't have enough coffee this morning :coffee: :D

Strange that LP did not give a description of the 1st stage, and stranger still that I could not find it on Sherwood's homepage.

Best wishes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom