Regulator Lifespan . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems like the biggest mechanical impediment to lifespan is poor after-dive care. Aside from accidental damage from dropping or crushing I suppose. And a lot of the concern seems more from injury to cosmetic satisfaction than to functionality. Piston regs can suffer from poor soaking because the piston sealing surface is exposed to the environment, but even pretty crusty looking diaphragm regs seem fairly readily rehabilitated, so long as the salt water damage isn't internal.

Assuming you can find or rehabilitate the HP seat for a reg, it seems like there's no reason it couldn't last as long as you like it.

FWIW, I'm currently using my mother's Conshelf 20 regulators and SPG from 1985. They work perfectly.

The lifespan of a reg has more to do with sourcing replacement parts than anything else. Vintage Double Hose, the vintage, diy, and reg forums on ScubaBoard are great help, but some regs are just wall hangers.

I dive the ‘62 Nemrod Snark III that I learned to dive on. Most parts are no longer available so I’m one failure from hanging it on the wall.

Same goes for the ‘80 Sherwood Magnum I dove for years. It’s on my pony because it served me so well for so long. Next time the dry bleed goes out it’s a wall hanger.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom