Regulator Lifespan . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As long as soft parts are available for a reg and no major damage has been done by the user, a reg has an almost unlimited lifespan. At least for the metal second stages, many of the plastic ones tend to have ageing issues. Many of us who like vintage regs are diving double hoses from the late 50 and early 60s thanks to a few folks making reproduction parts. These regs are working better today than when new due to better materials in the rubber goods, mostly silicone today rather than the rubber from years past. The metal components are still in perfect working condition.
I will have to take an exception to the best to support their old regs, the Conshelf has been in production since 1965 and to my understanding is still made for the military. You can still buy service kits for both stages and if you look closely, while not listed as parts for the older regs, the critical parts like HP seats and diaphragms are still the same design.
I suspect what the tech said is true but for a different reason. Divers are sold on the idea that the latest whiz bang blinged up reg is so much better than that old antique reg you have been using so the old one gets put away for the new shinny one.

I've had my regs since 1998, iirc.

Of course, "plastic" is a general term, and there are quite different materials categorized as "plastic".
Some are more durable than others.
But brass is forever:
View attachment 560934
These two guys are made of brass, and remained underwater, near Riace, in Calabria, at shallow depth, for approximately 2400 years, subjected to abrasion from sand, waves, etc.
Do you think that even the better reinforced plastic could last so long, with no wear?
I’m a professor teaching polymer science, working on the development of high toughness soft materials. I feel like you’ve given me a good motivation for the introduction of my next proposal; can we simulate this type of durability in soft materials? Something for me to consider...(also, even if we could do this...would we want to?)

My regulators are almost 30 years ago. They are mostly plastic (S600, S550, D400, G260, G250). They are serviced regularly and they are performing very well as far as I'm concerned. No disagreements with having nice brass regulators which will also last a lifetime if taken well taken care of.

i hope your legs can last as long as the rest of you! :nyah:

:rofl3:

I will fix my typo
:oops:

Did you realize that there are only 2-3 moving parts in a 2nd stage regulator not counting springs? All of these ride on 0-rings or are silicone. Replicable. First stage really only has 1or 2. The only reason most people get new ones is marketing. Gotta have the latest and greatest.

Back
Top Bottom