Regulator leaks then seals. Is this normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seagrams

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a regulator that is only a couple years old. I had yearly maintenance done on it last fall. I tested it on a tank yesterday for the first time since getting it back from the shop and it'll make a hissing noise like its leaking air, then all of the sudden i hear a pop, and then it stops leaking. Is this a common thing that happens? maybe its a bad o'ring on the tank? Its the first stage that its happening to

It's hard to know exactly what you're describing without seeing it first hand. However, my first impression is that the o-ring on the tank needed a second to pop into the right position to seal. This could be related to an older o-ring that was due for replacing or that the regulator wasn't tightened optimally on the tank.

In either case I don't think what you heard was a really big problem. What I would advise if you're using an INT type regulator is to have a couple of o-rings in your save-a-dive kit (I used to keep them in a little thing that I hung on my key chain) so you can replace a worn tank o-ring yourself.

R..

I just got around to fixing that problem by putting in the proper 1-size-up o-ring on one of my 1st stages. Find the spec and buy some. It sucks to skip a dive because you've lost one and don't have another. ( The 1-size smaller was working fine, but the hiss/pop does give you pause even though you know its ok-to-go. )

Last edited:
I've had that happen with yoke valves that have the wrong size o-ring installed on the tank valve.

I've had it happen on both yoke and DIN. Change the tank interface o-ring and make sure that you've seated the regulator before you turn the tank on.

Yoke valve! What is this "yoke valve" you speak of?
That's the part which is left after the health conscious divers ate the whites for breakfast.

Is the hissing air coming from the 2nd stages?

What brand regulators?

Some regulators have 2nd stage seat saver mechanisms. This keeps the 2nd stage seat open until pressure is present. On these regs, it might hiss and leak like a slow freeflow until the 2nd stage seat closes. Once they do, back pressure can build in the 1st stage and then you might hear some orings popping as they seal.

That's the part which is left after the health conscious divers ate the whites for breakfast.
I just threw up a little bit...in the back of my throat.

Back
Top Bottom