Regulator for warm water 60' dives ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Life-Is-Good-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Getting back into the hobby after being out of it for a few years

When I left the hobby I was certified on a rebreather and diving it for 6 months

so it's been a while since I dove OC , but when I did, I was using the Aqua Lung Legend and Scuba Pro S600 at the time, also had an Atomic B2 . From my memory, I think it's been a few years, but I seems to really like the Atomic B2

im im looking at regs , now they have the S700 out and so on, but $800 plus price tags

Two things, I'll be diving mostly shallow water, 60' or less, and warm water in FL, and about once a month, due to other hobbies in my life. If I get a dozen dives in the year I'll be happy

i defiantly want a balanced reg, but don't want to spend $800 on one just yet

I'm also looking into the OTS Guardian FFM

Any suggestions?

The Apeks XTX40 with DS4 first stage is a great combination. You can pick up a set with occy for around USD$400. I use an XTX200 on all my primary regs, but most of my stage regs are XTX40 with DS4. They breath REALLY well, built with quality and precision. If I dived less and shallower the XTX40 would be my pick for a primary reg with your dive plans.

How do they compare to the Mares Abyss 52 regulator ?

i was just reading online about different regs, and I keep seeing the Mares Abyss 52 come up

i checked Ebay, and theirs a brand new one in box for $299

looks like its a $650 reg

Mares were the ducks guts 20 years ago, but I'm not as impressed with them these days. I find their regs breath wet when you're in odd orientations, and servicing isnt straight forward (service kits are expensive). Whilst I haven't dived specifically with Abyss 52, I havent liked their other (more expensive) models I've used.

not much has changed in reg design in the last 20 years or so. Most any reg will be perfectly suited to what you want/need out of a reg. Anything used online will be perfectly fine. Obviously if you were into a breather you have experience rebuilding things so you are fine there. I'd just check the used forum here and grab something. Comparing two regs is hard as a lot of mfg's have stopped quoting breathing numbers because it is at a point where computers have to be involved to find the difference and the regs are capable of so much more than a human or pair of people could ever use. By what you think looks good, what you can get serviced easily at your preferred service shop or better yet buy kits to service yourself.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/classifieds-regulators/477565-ots-interspiro-mkii-divator-ffm.html
there's a FFM

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...e-sp-rg2500-stage-deco-regulator-package.html
decent reg set for decent price. There's a whole slew of them in there.

Getting back into the hobby after being out of it for a few years

When I left the hobby I was certified on a rebreather and diving it for 6 months

so it's been a while since I dove OC , but when I did, I was using the Aqua Lung Legend and Scuba Pro S600 at the time, also had an Atomic B2 . From my memory, I think it's been a few years, but I seems to really like the Atomic B2

im im looking at regs , now they have the S700 out and so on, but $800 plus price tags

Two things, I'll be diving mostly shallow water, 60' or less, and warm water in FL, and about once a month, due to other hobbies in my life. If I get a dozen dives in the year I'll be happy

i defiantly want a balanced reg, but don't want to spend $800 on one just yet

I'm also looking into the OTS Guardian FFM

Any suggestions?

Oh, you mean the Scubapro A700, not S700, thought maybe I has missed something. I dive the MK25/S600, wonderful regulator, I'm wanting for nothing.

LOL, told you it's been a while, lol

yeh. I,did like the S600

---------- Post added August 23rd, 2014 at 07:15 PM ----------

not much has changed in reg design in the last 20 years or so. Most any reg will be perfectly suited to what you want/need out of a reg. Anything used online will be perfectly fine. Obviously if you were into a breather you have experience rebuilding things so you are fine there. I'd just check the used forum here and grab something. Comparing two regs is hard as a lot of mfg's have stopped quoting breathing numbers because it is at a point where computers have to be involved to find the difference and the regs are capable of so much more than a human or pair of people could ever use. By what you think looks good, what you can get serviced easily at your preferred service shop or better yet buy kits to service yourself.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/classifieds-regulators/477565-ots-interspiro-mkii-divator-ffm.html
there's a FFM

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...e-sp-rg2500-stage-deco-regulator-package.html
decent reg set for decent price. There's a whole slew of them in there.

Thanks. I'm strongly considering a FFM also. I remember jaw fatigue and foggy mask

i have a friend that loves his Guardian

I'm going to put a plug in for the Edge Epic. I've got one, and it breathes super easy down to 90 feet (deepest I've gone) and even the owner of the LDS (who is pretty much SP and AL gear) says that it's well made and a good reg.

You can find it on sale at Divers Supply for about 250.

Steve

I'm going to put a plug in for the Edge Epic. I've got one, and it breathes super easy down to 90 feet (deepest I've gone) and even the owner of the LDS (who is pretty much SP and AL gear) says that it's well made and a good reg.

You can find it on sale at Divers Supply for about 250.

Steve

Wow! Came in first in top regs under $500 !

2013 ScubaLab Regulators: Best Buy - Edge Epic 2012 | Reg Test | Dive Gear Review | Scuba Diving

---------- Post added August 23rd, 2014 at 07:38 PM ----------

From reading everyone compares the Egde Epic 2012 with Hog Regulators

id like to buy my own 100HP steel tanks, which I would in return like to use DIN

but that will be down the road some. The Hog An Edge seem very comparable

Getting back into the hobby after being out of it for a few years ...

also had an Atomic B2 . From my memory, I think it's been a few years, but I seems to really like the Atomic B2

If ya liked the Atomic get another nothing has change since you dived it. ~$300 is going price for a used one. I picked up a couple of old T1x for about the same and spent about $200 to update them. Now we have some nice travel regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom