Regulator catastrophe on New Year dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are probably right, I just don't remember the event that caused the damage. It probably happened during the preparation or entry, but you would think I would notice it since, like you say, breaking that part would not be easy.

I only mention self service here :cool: , and haven't serviced this reg yet.

Nope, that piece disappeared before I even notice it.
This is the spot that leads to the assumption
4AC5FEE6-161B-41C0-86DA-F227E063A231.jpeg

This is the spot that leads to the assumption View attachment 762086
Good Catch! That is definitely fresh damage. Actually looks like there was a sharp edge right at that spot (but nowhere else). The rest of the reg is "spotless." It's becoming even more strange that I did not notice it what caused it.

It is also becoming more obvious that it isn't a manufacturing defect.

I don't think manufacturing defect, my money is on its taken a reasonably big hit, those cases are not fragile.
I do wish I knew how a "big hit" snuck past me.

Any comments on my decision to breath down the "wet side" in sidemount. Other than not turning the dive, was it the right decision? If I had taken a sudden fast deep breath I would have breathed at least some water. I was counting on switch to the other reg if something came up to tempt me to that. Was I take an appropriate risk that I might take that breath before I could switch?

I should probably post this question in the sidemount forum.

Any comments on my decision to breath down the "wet side" in sidemount. Other than not turning the dive, was it the right decision? If I had taken a sudden fast deep breath I would have breathed at least some water. I was counting on switch to the other reg if something came up to tempt me to that. Was I take an appropriate risk that I might take that breath before I could switch?

I should probably post this question in the sidemount forum.

This isn't probably what you are looking for but I'd have turned the dive as soon as possible and not wait a minute longer or try to complete the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom