Regulator catastrophe on New Year dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

L13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Did a side mount dive yesterday, and one of my G260's was breathing really wet. after a few basic attempts to fix it, I decided to fix it after the dive, and finished the dive with it in my mouth. My thought process was to save the gas on the good reg so if SHTF I would have lots of gas on the reg that I could breath hard from. I probably should have called the dive right then, but it was a relatively easy dive, and I had a ton of gas on me. Just as I surfaced, the regulator fell out of my mouth leaving the mouthpiece behind. This is what I saw:

IMG_20230102_204425338_HDR.jpg

I've been planning to service this regulator myself, and have the kit. But now I need a new body:(. Any ideas how much it costs, and where to get it?

Any idea what/why happened for that piece to break?
No. I don't remember any particular rough handling, but there must have been some. I doubt it was random. What surprised me as much as anything was that it was the lower side that was broken, not the more exposed upper side.

Did a side mount dive yesterday, and one of my G260's was breathing really wet. after a few basic attempts to fix it, I decided to fix it after the dive, and finished the dive with it in my mouth. My thought process was to save the gas on the good reg so if SHTF I would have lots of gas on the reg that I could breath hard from. I probably should have called the dive right then, but it was a relatively easy dive, and I had a ton of gas on me. Just as I surfaced, the regulator fell out of my mouth leaving the mouthpiece behind. This is what I saw:

View attachment 762051

I've been planning to service this regulator myself, and have the kit. But now I need a new body:(. Any ideas how much it costs, and where to get it?

😳

What surprised me as much as anything was that it was the lower side that was broken, not the more exposed upper side.

Yes, that appeared very odd to me.

Maybe worth reporting to SP just in case they have seen it before and would have a guess on what caused it.

Yes, that appeared very odd to me.

Maybe worth reporting to SP just in case they have seen it before and would have a guess on what caused it.
I plan on taking it to my LDS that sold it to me, and seeing what they say. Not sure how to report it directly to SP.

Back
Top Bottom