Regs......which one to choose

Which Reg do you use? ScubaPro or Apeks!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are not talking about where it is made, we are talking about where the company reports. We know nothing is really made in the US anymore. Please if you quote me and rebut something, read the whole post.
If you are going to wear your patriotism on your sleeve, then you ought to point out exactly what you are wearing. Your assumptions are out of date. Goods manufactured overseas under a US shell company contribute almost nothing to the US economy outside of Wall Street. Goods manufactured in the US, even for a "foreign owned" corporation, contribute substantially to the US economy (hint: that "foreign owned" corporation has an American subsidiary). A Ford build overseas contributes far less to the US economy than than a Toyota built in Kentucky. Strange but true...

Back on topic, the MK17s that I've seen weren't made in the USA. Not that it matters much in the end. That doesn't change the fact that they are damned good regs. :)

If you are going to wear your patriotism on your sleeve, then you ought to point out exactly what you are wearing. Your assumptions are out of date. Goods manufactured overseas under a US shell company contribute almost nothing to the US economy outside of Wall Street. Goods manufactured in the US, even for a "foreign owned" corporation, contribute substantially to the US economy (hint: that "foreign owned" corporation has an American subsidiary). A Ford build overseas contributes far less to the US economy than than a Toyota built in Kentucky. Strange but true...

Back on topic, the MK17s that I've seen weren't made in the USA. Not that it matters much in the end. That doesn't change the fact that they are damned good regs. :)

I was not play the patriot flag, just giving additional info for the decision. As I stated in an earlier post I have a Italian brand reg and made in italy. And I do not hide which reg I have as I have it in my profile. So what are you saying. Do you have a problem giving someone all the FACTS to help make a decision. Or should everyone just be blindly listening to advice on this board, as some of the time they are so slanted one way or completely misleading. I have read some silly post by ppl that said lower price reg is not safe, and that you should get a more expensive one. The facts some of the lower price regs will preform just find for the average rec diver, they have ones even good for cold water.

Here are the facts. As Johnson owns scubapro that is no debate, but everything is outsource. Johnson is not a shell company, it is the parent. A US base company. Shall I say it AGAIN, really nothing is made in the US anymore as we are a service base economy not a manufacturing one anymore. And again I will say it, read the whole tread before trying to pick a fight.

The point is neither regs al or sp is made here, but one help the french Airgas the other will help the US johnson's outdoor. And yes, the Apeks will help the british eco more then the french, and the SP will help japan's or italy's more then the US. But no matter how you want to look at it, buying a sp will better for the US eco then buying the AL reg.

Don't think you are the only one that is well read. :popcorn:

PS

The Toyota made in KY will ultimately impact shear prices of toyota shocks in Japan, and the Fords made in Canada affects ford shears in the US.

PS

If you are into the political debate, Apeks/AL is French owned. ScubaPro is US owned. For some it an issue to spend money supporting a US company to booster the economy, ie Johnsons Outdoors vs. AirGas, during the economic down turn in the US.

As you can read I hope, I did not say where the regs were made. I also said that for some that this fact can play a role in the decision. Please read properly:eyebrow:

Piston regs are simpler to repair, right?

Its cold water diving that puts me off of piston regs (in general). My dive buddy had a MK25 that freeflowed on him like crazy in cold (but not freezing, btw) water. He's replaced those with MK17s which are Scubapro's version of a sealed diaphram first stage -- just like my Apeks flatheads. :wink:

I talked to your buddy, (what is his name? I can't remember) and he is one major reason why I'm choosing an MK17

I hear what you say about buying more cheaply, but if you didn't buy the reg from one of your LDSs don't be surprised if they refuse to service it or to help you. It's tough to survive in the diving industry these days because people don't think their purchases all the way through and only see the headline price. As long ago as 6 years most of the LDSs in my area of England would have adopted the attitude I describe.

I wouldn't dream of giving a penny to a LDS that refused to service gear that I bought elsewhere. The margin on service is good enough that there is no real reason for this sort of behavior.

Ok, I voted that I use both. I have DS4 on my back and deco, with a Mk2+ on my argon. I used to have Mk25/S600 for my single tank setup but just traded someone for a DS4/TX50. I have kits for both SP and Apeks. I think the SP is a fine reg, and it has superior hose routing due to the port on the bottom of the turret, but I think I will stick with the Apeks for their simplicity. The only downfall I have found with the Apeks is is the covers are so damn tight, both the 1st stage and the 2nd! I am about to pick up a 2nd deco bottle, (one for 50, one for O2) for right now Ill probably just swap one reg back and forth as needed but I will have to consider what I want to do for another deco reg. I might go with a Mk2+ as it is a simple piston reg and if the second stage purge gets depressed during a dive and the 1st stage floods, the MK2 stands a better chance of no damage when. repressurized. That said the mk2 works great for my argon, but I have been eyeballing the new little reg being sold by Highland mills, Salvo and others...

A thread about regs and no one has mentioned POSEIDON? I thought you guys were PROs:shakehead: Anyway between SP and APEKS? Apeks TX-50 wins the day. Oh and the patriot thing? Let's think about the divers using the gear and not just who or where it's manufactured. Where or Who manufactures is an important point. But voting with your wallet is too. So if a US corporation sees that divers, whether in the US or outside, prefer a certain piece of equipment over theirs, they can go and make a better reg or one that the market wants. If we all go become patriotic consumers, the Chinese and the Indians win and we lose. Since we are already losing that war plus a couple of others, maybe we should say that all is good as long as it's not made in China, India, North Korea, Iran, Yemen.... (excuse me, George, did I forget anyone?). Perhaps we should get Iraqi or Afghanistan regs to help them rebulid their economies? "Hey, dude, smooth reg you got there" "Yeah, man, handmade in the poppy fields of Afghanistan".

A thread about regs and no one has mentioned POSEIDON? I thought you guys were PROs:shakehead: Anyway between SP and APEKS? Apeks TX-50 wins the day. Oh and the patriot thing? Let's think about the divers using the gear and not just who or where it's manufactured. Where or Who manufactures is an important point. But voting with your wallet is too. So if a US corporation sees that divers, whether in the US or outside, prefer a certain piece of equipment over theirs, they can go and make a better reg or one that the market wants. If we all go become patriotic consumers, the Chinese and the Indians win and we lose. Since we are already losing that war plus a couple of others, maybe we should say that all is good as long as it's not made in China, India, North Korea, Iran, Yemen.... (excuse me, George, did I forget anyone?). Perhaps we should get Iraqi or Afghanistan regs to help them rebulid their economies? "Hey, dude, smooth reg you got there" "Yeah, man, handmade in the poppy fields of Afghanistan".

I do not think that OP was looking to go Pro, and doing Deco diving. So it seems he was looking for a good rec diving regulators. Something good, and affordable. Not everyone wants or need Pro gear and paying the big dollars for it.

Actually we are losing already, as the US buy samsung plasma TV form a korean company made in china. Or a nikon camera, japanese company, made in china. So Nikon and Samsung get larger and larger market shears. The US is getting left behind, our corporations report more lost, think zenith really no longer exist and kodak is a small fry in digital camera.

The facts are that globalization always help the developing countries eco, while hurting the already developed countries. It will stay that way until everyone is on an even playing field when it comes to the cost of doing business. And that will take allot of time. So with the emerging Asian power houses, they will either buy up the struggling US company, or the US companies will have outsource until it is economical to do business back in the US. Either sucks, but which of the two evil do you perfer. So buying a US brand actually will do some good. Globalization sucks. So the US, Western Europe, Japan, Canada and Australia will be seeing more and more Chinese and Indian goods for a while. So knowing this, I rather buy my Aeris fins made in Italy, then a pair of aqualung fins made in tawain.

Lets see, My first was a Scubapro MK5 in 1978, then I had a Dacor, Next was a Aqualung. then an Apek for a few months. Now I use a Aqualung Titan LX - I Guess I really don't care as long as it breaths good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom