Regs......which one to choose

Which Reg do you use? ScubaPro or Apeks!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have one dive shop in my area that services Apeks, but I'd rather stay away from him, for certain quality reasons. Also, I have another dealer in my area who services SP, and has had a very good track record with my dive buddy. I'm actually going to be buying the regs in Oregon, as there is no shipping, and I can get about 25% percent off: major savings for me! :D

If you are not feeling good about the LDS that service the apeks, I would go with the SP.

Okay,
SP-US ...
Again, no.

SP doesn't publish which reg models are made where, you have to check the box for the reg you would be buying. FWIW, it'll probably say either Taiwan or Italy.

SP doesn't publish which reg models are made where, you have to check the box for the reg you would be buying. FWIW, it'll probably say either Taiwan or Italy.

Some Scubapro's regs (mainly AIR 2, I think) were made in Japan - they have or had some kind of deal with Tabata.

Some of Scubapro's made in Italy regs were sold under Tabata's branding - MK16/R380 sold as (Tabata) TUSA RS-460 X-Pert, for example.

What kind of diving will you be doing?

For very cold water, Scubapro MK17 (or Apeks) may be a better choice than MK25.

I use both brands (in warm water) and have had no problems whatsoever. I really like the hose routing possibilities of the MK25 but also love the simplicity of the Apeks first stages. Since I have many, many Apeks regs, I'll probably eventually stop using Scubapro, just to simplify servicing and spare parts requirements. However, both companies make excellent regs and you won't go wrong with either.

If you don't want people to choose the "I don't really care!" option, not including it as an option in your poll might help...

Very Cold Water 45 degrees. I've decided to get the MK17

I hear what you say about buying more cheaply, but if you didn't buy the reg from one of your LDSs don't be surprised if they refuse to service it or to help you. It's tough to survive in the diving industry these days because people don't think their purchases all the way through and only see the headline price. As long ago as 6 years most of the LDSs in my area of England would have adopted the attitude I describe.

I've already asked him about it, and he said he'd be willing to service it regardless.

Very Cold Water 45 degrees. I've decided to get the MK17

Good choice. Otoh, if you can find a MK19, grab it.

Again, no.

We are not talking about where it is made, we are talking about where the company is based. We know nothing is really made in the US anymore. Please if you quote me and rebut something, read the whole post.

Johnsons outdoor's is a US company.

It will say Japan or Italy more likely

Good choice. Otoh, if you can find a MK19, grab it.

Yeah! I will. The problem is, it's not in production anymore so it's hard to find in Europe.
Plus, I wanna buy a rc helicopter with the money I save from buying the MK17 rather than the MK25, and buying the G250Vs instead of the S600

Yeah! I will. The problem is, it's not in production anymore so it's hard to find in Europe.
Plus, I wanna buy a rc helicopter with the money I save from buying the MK17 rather than the MK25, and buying the G250Vs instead of the S600

That is the way to go. Not everyone is a scuba addict, so for the non addict, we have other hobbies to spend money on also. Mine happen to be travelling and motorcycle, both are pricey hobbies, :rofl3:

XTX 200. I like the build quality. I went to a clinic where we opened up an Apeks. I was impressed with many nuances on it. I have had very good experiences with my XTX200 for around 9 months now..

Back
Top Bottom