Regs problem...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've tried the reg is so many different positions in my mouth, I've tried everything possible thinking it might be something like that, it just hasn't helped!
Diver0001, I couldn't actually SEE the air escaping, it just FELT as though it was... It was really strange. I'm sure I could hear air it too... I just am at a complete loss know as to what is going on!!!

Amy Capello:
I've tried the reg is so many different positions in my mouth, I've tried everything possible thinking it might be something like that, it just hasn't helped!
Diver0001, I couldn't actually SEE the air escaping, it just FELT as though it was... It was really strange. I'm sure I could hear air it too... I just am at a complete loss know as to what is going on!!!
IMHO The others are right. You should try a different mouthpiece.
I can recommend the comfobite mouthpieces made by Aqualung. You can get them in black and clear silicon, maybe not as cool as blue but very comfortable.
I think the mouthpiece change is a simple and cheap way to ses whether the old one really fits you.
Oren

I dive with V32/Proton Ice and have never encountered the problems you mentioned.

With regards to the free-flow when you enter the water, does it still free-flow when you point the 2nd stage mouthpiece downwards? If it stops, then there is nothing wrong with your 2nd stage. There might be a problem if air starts to flow again when you point the mouthpiece upwards after descending a little.

You should get your buddy to do a leak check underwater if you suspect there is leaking. "feeling a leak" is never as accurate as seeing one.

If the problem still persists, bring the reg back to the Mares servicing centre. Like I said, you are the first person I know to encounter this problem with the Mares Proton Ice.

edwinh:
If the problem still persists, bring the reg back to the Mares servicing centre. Like I said, you are the first person I know to encounter this problem with the Mares Proton Ice.

I've heard it's quite a common problem.

And yes, it stops if I point the second stage downwards. I believe I mentioned this in an ealier post... And it's my alternate that is freeflowing, not my Proton Ice reg.

May I know what is the common problem?

I know about 6 divers who use the Proton Ice and all of them are more than satisfied with the reg. After doing much research on the net and reading past posts on ScubaBoard, I did not find much complaints about the reg. For that reason, I bought the Ice. No problems so far. Breaths like a dream.

From what I can gather, you are encountering two problems, eh? Primary stage is leaking (i.e. breathing in salty wet) and secondary freeflows when entering the water?

Cheers

Amy Capello:
I've heard it's quite a common problem.

And yes, it stops if I point the second stage downwards. I believe I mentioned this in an ealier post... And it's my alternate that is freeflowing, not my Proton Ice reg.
I had a Nikos octopus to my Abyss and after it was serviced the first time it started freeflowing as well. The LDS wasn't able to fix the problem for a while and in the end Mares replaced the octopus to the Axis and now everything is fine. They did it without charge as the warranty wasn't expired.
Let your instructor try the regs. out and if he says that it's ok, than replace the mouthpiece to see whether a different one would make a difference. Concerning the freeflowing octopus, you can alow the LDS to try to "tune it little down" and see whether it made the difference, otherwise send it to Mares because they really stand behind their products.
Oren

Thansk for the advice guys.
My alternate's already been 'tuned down' a bit, but maybe I'll get them to do it a bit more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom