Regs problem...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sideband:
I'm confused about it not happening in the pool. As you dive, does it seem to start leaking at any particular depth? Is it the same at 10' as at 60' or 80' when doing a regular dive or does it get worse as you get deeper?

Joe
who doesn't know crud about regs. but does know how to troubleshoot.

Well I guess it may be because I had them adjusted after I'd been in the pool... Because they were free-flowing a LOT when they went in the water upside down (see one of my earlier posts).

Since then, I haven't been back in the pool, just the sea... In the pool in the 14th as one of my friends is learning, and getting s free pool session that night, and has asked me to buddy up with him... Will try them in the pool again then and see what happens...

Someone has suggested to me that it's a common problem with the Porton Ice regs though, maybe worth checking out?? Anyone else have these regs?

Some assumptions..

If you're getting salt water in your reg, it definitly has to be coming in through one of those valves. If the reg passes the suction test, I would assume the valve is seating ok to prevent water from entering when sucking air in. The only other time when that valve should open, is when you exhales, or when the regulator is leaking some air out the exhaust, short of a free flow. Maybe that steady exhaust dribble is just enough to open that exhaust valve for some water intake when you begin to take a breath, building up a little at a time(?) Since we do suck in more air as we go deeper, maybe the water intake increases as well.

When I was using all sorts of rental regs in my OW class, I had one that would literally push air in my mouth as soon as I started the vacuum once I decended about a meter below the surface. It was a weird feeling, and made me feel like I was a baloon it was trying to inflate. Because of the supply. I just sort of let the excess air blow out the exhaust, which caught my instructor's attention. I noticed some water getting into this particular reg, which I think was related to the exhaust being kept open so much.

I'd say contact Mares. That your sister is having the same problem, implies it's not a fluke with just your reg. It may be a bad parts run or some other QC issue, but these regs should not be doing this, unless you aren't swimming horizontally on your stomach or vertical. I have't used a regulator yet that breathes 100% dry in every possible position, but my expreience is still quite limited.

You know... I'm thinking... I might try convincing my instructor to swap regs with me on a dive... See what he thinks... He's fussy as hell with his kit so it might be helpful! (On the other hand, he might not want me using his regs for that same reason! Might need some gentle persuasion... :p)

Amy Capello:
You know... I'm thinking... I might try convincing my instructor to swap regs with me on a dive... See what he thinks... He's fussy as hell with his kit so it might be helpful! (On the other hand, he might not want me using his regs for that same reason! Might need some gentle persuasion... :p)

That's a good idea. Your instructor is in a much better position to give you feed back about it than we are for obvious reasons.

R..

I've asked him if he'll try them, and he said he'll have a look, so, fingers crossed...
And, once again, thanks for all the help guys! :)

OK, tried them in the pool again on Friday and they were working fine, no leaks or anything.
Went on a dive tonight (max. 8.4m) and had an occasional water leak, so I'm thinking it must get worse with depth (was MUCH worse on my last dive, which was to about 22m).
Also, there appeared to air escaping from the top of the mouthpiece occasionally. I say appeared, because I couldn't see any air escaping, but I could hear it and occaionally feel it.
What is going on?!?

Amy Capello:
OK, tried them in the pool again on Friday and they were working fine, no leaks or anything.
Went on a dive tonight (max. 8.4m) and had an occasional water leak, so I'm thinking it must get worse with depth (was MUCH worse on my last dive, which was to about 22m).
Also, there appeared to air escaping from the top of the mouthpiece occasionally. I say appeared, because I couldn't see any air escaping, but I could hear it and occaionally feel it.
What is going on?!?

Just for kicks why don't you remove the mouthpiece and put a different one on. Maybe try one from Aqualung or Sherwood. They tend to stay in your mouth a bit better. It's not inconceivable that your lips are a little bit open and the air you see escaping is coming out of your mouth.

R..

Just saw this thread and as a certified reg tech for a "few" years thoughts I'd add my two cents:

The checks done so far make sense, if a reg is breathing wet we start at:

#1. Mouthpiece- pinholes or tears, tightly secured
#2. Exhaust valves- folds, tears, pinholes
#3. Diaphragm- pinholes, tears, folds
#4. Actual cracks in the reg body (very rare)

The fact that the reg breathes dry in the pool and the vacuum test seemed to hold leans toward these not being the problem.

I would guess that this is not a reg problem but a mouth discipline problem or a mouthpiece that doesn't fit properly in the mouth. Change the mouthpiece.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom