Reggae

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caribbean soul

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking for some good reggae cds to get me through the winter,any suggestions

caribbean soul:
Looking for some good reggae cds to get me through the winter,any suggestions
Are you new to Reggae or looking for new stuff recently released?
C-Dawg

I have 1 cd ziggy marley live which i like .I would like to build from there.

I suggest anything by Ziggy's father (Robert Nesta Marley aka Bob Marley).. :wink: :)
Are you looking to build a Reggae collection or just some easy listening music?

There are so many reggae songs, artists and variants to reggae out there..

I'll make a few suggestions though, mainly boxed sets and anthologies.
They would represent a nice continuum of reggae from the 60's to now more or less.

Bob Marley collection
http://www.bobmarley.com/albums/sof2/

Lee "Scratch" Perry
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/of...f=dp_bb_a//104-8588356-7806328?condition=new/
Lee "Scratch" Perry transcended and altered every rule, idea and concept about recorded music, producing and creating the most mind-blowing examples of reggae and dub in his Black Ark Studios. It's impossible to cover every angle of Scratch's output, but Arkology provides an excellent introduction into the essential sounds of Perry.

Toots and the maytals
http://about.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=522208201&mode=about_worldmusic

Like I said, there's so much reggae out there it's almost impossible for me to recomment a few albums or artists.
It would probably be better if you listened to a lot of it and got a feel for the type of beats/songs that you like. Perhaps watch a few documentaries so you can understand the history of the music and what it means/meant to the artists/people back then.
The BBC had a really good documentary on the history of reggae a while back, can't find a link to it though.

Anyway my short list of artists are -
Bob Marley
Burning Spear
Abyssinians
Lee and Scratch perry
Toots and the Maytals

Personally I prefer stuff from the 60's and 70's and even earlier, i.e. Ska and Mento, but that might be hard to find in the states.

Most of the modern stuff, i.e. Dancehall, Sean Paul et al, has a strong hip hop flavor to it and you probably wouldn't understand anything they're saying..

Hope i've been of some help...

Trini are you gonna jump in and start talking about Matisyahu? Hehe :14:

Looking to build a collection. If there are different styles of reggae ,I think I would prefer the Marley style.

Well most of the artists that I noted have styles which are more or less in the same vein of Bob. Marley is good, but his songs just scratch the diversity in style and themes of all the great Jamaican music out there.

Oh and don't forget Jimmy Cliff, has some good stuff a la "The Harder they come, You Can Get It, Many Rivers to Cross,".
Do a google search and listen to a sample of it, you probably will like it.

http://www.imagesjournal.com/issue10/reviews/hardertheycome/text.htm
The harder they come is also the title of a sort of cult film in many circles, it chronicles the life of a farm boy who comes to the big city (Kingston) to try and make it as a reggae star. I'd pick it up, even for myself watching it's amazing how much different Kingston looks now than back in the 70;s

BTW, there is a lot of really good reggae from countries outside of Jamaica/ the Caribbean such as UB40, "Red, red wine" is a favorite of mine.
You'd be suprised.

Anything by Bob Marley, Peter Tosh and Jimmy Cliff would be an excellent start. I LOVE Jimmy Cliff's version of "I Can See Clearly Now"....:shades:

Buja Bantan (most anything), Sizzla...(words of devine), Capleton (jah jah city), and Shaggy (anything, try Angel 1st) are good reggae artists yet to be named on this thread. Ahh If I could live in the islands. I would be truely at peace! Sid

What kind of non-reggae music you like?
How old are you?
What kind of personality are you? Laid back, frantic,etc?

A good start would definitely be Bob Marley, I personally started my reggae collection on Bob Marley's Babylon by Bus cd.

I have lots of suggestions if you give me a more specific request.

Gordo

Back
Top Bottom