REGARDING PSD Certifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

medictom

Registered
Reaction score
Well the powers that be have done it now, our team was notified that we should/HAVE to be certified by the DCBC ( Diver Certification Board of Canada) which in my opinion is a gov. money grabber as most of the people in their office in N S have never dived, they review paper work, check logs, contact agencies, and issue you a nice new card for $250. after the cost of passport photo for the card, and the cost of shipping your paperwork and logs.:11: I can afford to do it but I have 3 members of the team that are thinking of dropping from it because of the extra expenses as they all have kids!!!
I'm the training officer for our group/ diving officer responsible for almost everything now, (even phone answering) and I really can't see the need for a cert. like this, I'm an instructor for 4 different agencies ( IN GOOD STANDING), isn't my judgement enough?? Next year it will only be 3 agencies as I'm not renewing with the org known as Put Another Dollar In!!:confused:
Any comments would be helpful.

Uh, maybe you should point out to the powers that be that they want it they need to pay for it?

I'm going to take a wild guess that you won't be able to do that due to politics in your situation?

Let me preface this with the statement that I don't have a clue what the requirements are in Canada so take my comments with a big grain of salt...

If it's a Public Safety Diving certification then what would it take for you to become a tester/examiner/whatever for them?

If one of your instructor cards is from a PSD training organization that should be possible. (Ignoring politics again, bad habit) If however your cards are from recreational agencies why would they take your word?

I know I've accumulated tens of thousands of dollars in gear over the years in doing PSD work, it has never been cheap in either monetary cost or cost to our families to be in this business.

Do the research and find out if it's really a requirement or just something that they would "Like" to see you get. If it's required then maybe look at doing a little fund raising to help the guys out?

Best of luck,
Tom

What team are you with?

I was under the impression that the RCMP did all the PSD work in manitoba

Hi Bridge: How're things in AB?

First one CAST

No the RCMP "D" Division doesn't do all the PSD work in MB.The City of Winnipeg has a pretty fine URT and River patrol also.

As you probably know,CAST gets called in when the other resources have been used up, or called off.The CAST motto is "When All Else Fails", the team crest is the greek letter OMEGA for closure, "the last" .! :)

Take care!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom