Reg vs Octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas:
And don't forget to add that you also must have the same exact configuration as the rest, dress in only black, become very ignorant/arrogant, belittle everyone else, follow a teaching that was developed for someone else in a different part of the world probably not even related to you and your diving and remove any gear and thought process that is not listed in the bible! Because if you don't - then you are a danger to yourself and all other divers around you and will surely die! :D
Wow, Tamas, how long has that been eating at you?

I don't know how long it's been eating him but it sounds like it's been awhile. lol.

Why is he a danger to himself that is surely going to die? lmao. :D

Just kidding around with ya bud.

scubatoys:
So now sit back and wait for the flood of hose around your neck, bungie octo, matching, etc, etc... Should be fun!:D

Ok, I'll bite...I switched to a bungeed backup that matched my primary after I had an out of air situation when someone tried to dive with a used tank on their first dive with an air integrated computer. We handled the situation alright with my octo at the time, but I realized that if ever that were to happen again, it would be much simplified with a longer hose and bungeed backup. I came to this conclusion before I knew anything about DIR by the way...

Just so we're clear... The long hose and bugied backup PREDATES DIR...

(I am NOT starting an Anti-DIR thread!!!!)

I think Larry makes valid points. It really is a personal choice.

Alex

skinerd:
I am getting my first regs and I will be doing alot of cold water diving. My question is, are primary 2nd stages of higher quality than octos? Should I get 2 primaries or a primary and an octo?
Thanks

Get whatever you would be happy breathing in case your buddy is OOA, since you're going to lose your primary.

Terry

You may solicit responses from other divers with various experience levels and opinions on the subject, but the bottom line is how you plan to handle an OOA diver and where you may find yourself in that situation (environment, depth, etc.).

Personally, I’ve come to the decision that in my world any stressed OOA diver will receive my primary secondary from my mouth. Not because is it written nor prescribed by any specific group of divers, because this is how I plan to deal with the situation. As a result, I will use my octo in an OOA situation. My choice to use a long hose and bungee configuration is for simple fact that this works for me.

All my dive buddies are familiar with how I plan to handle an OOA. If I’m pair up with a new buddy, I make damn sure that we both know what to expect if an OOA situation occurs.

I've always subscribed to the buy two of whatever your primary is for the exact point that many have brought up, I'll probably be the one breathing on it. I'll also be going for the long hose shortly after observing how well it worked on an OOA situation.

I learned to dive buddy breathing so my air-2 is a vast improvement. I have never seen an out of air diver in 20+ years of diving. This must put me in catagory #2.

"I have to agree to a point but I would limit the depth to around 70 ft. Once you get beyond that a poor regulator really starts to show it's lack of breathability especially in a panicked diver situation. "

Didn't tell him to get a "poor" regulator. Almost all modern regulators breath fairly decent within sport diving depth limits of 130 feet. Most are at least adequate. I suggest if you have a regulator that breaths so badly at 70 feet that you fear for your life you might need something else--fast! Specifically what brand of modern regulator breaths so poorely below 70 feet that it would be a threat to life? N

Nemrod:
life you might need something else--fast! Specifically what brand of modern regulator breaths so poorely below 70 feet that it would be a threat to life? N

Unfortunately they didn't name names, but according to the British Government, there are a number of them.

In any event, the last thing you want is for a diver who just ran out of air to again feel threatened because it's difficult to breathe.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr341.pdf

Back
Top Bottom