Reg vs Octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skinerd

Contributor
Reaction score
I am getting my first regs and I will be doing alot of cold water diving. My question is, are primary 2nd stages of higher quality than octos? Should I get 2 primaries or a primary and an octo?
Thanks

A lot of manufacturers will de-tune primaries to use as octos (to limit freeflows) or some will even make happy-meal version that only look good but perform like you are trying to suck air through a straw.

When choosing an "alternate" air source remember this - the out of air person will require a lot more air then you since they are most likely panicking, so if they get one of those happy-meal octos they will be in for a surprise when gasping for air. Better yet, if a person is in a real out of air situation, most likely they will go for your reg in your mouth, rip it out and use that, since they see bubbles coming out of it, then you will have to use the "octo" that you selected.

So based on this, which would you pick to be your alternative air source? I would get the same reg as the primary with maybe a different colour face plate or hose colour to help with the identification......since ample air underwater is a good thing (or so I heard)

Hi there fellow Canuck!

I would get two high quality second stages (along with a high quality first stage)...

My 2 cents...

Alex

EDIT: this was being typed at the same time Tamas was posting. What he said.

Octos, like primary second stages, can be good, or cheap... and the difference between matching ones is simply the color. So for example, if you want an zeagle envoy reg, and you put on an envoy octo, it is identical to the other, except for color. Or if you have a ZX second stage, you can use a ZX octo, or you can go with a less expensive envoy octo.

There are two schools of thought on this... you choose a side...

Side one: The octo should be the same quality as your primary. In an emergency, that is the last thing you should have to worry about - the quality of your gear.

Side two: Who really cares... In 5000 dives, I've never had an out of air situation... because I always know how much air everyone around me has... so I'll never face that situation... and if I did... I'm pretty sure whatever I give to an out of air diver will be good enough. A starving man will not turn down burgers... just because he has tasted steak.

If you couldn't tell... I'm in camp 2 - so I'd say get a good primary, then a dependable octo, but you do not have to spend extra money to have it be the best out there...

So now sit back and wait for the flood of hose around your neck, bungie octo, matching, etc, etc... Should be fun!:D

scubatoys:
So now sit back and wait for the flood of hose around your neck, bungie octo, matching, etc, etc... Should be fun!:D

And don't forget to add that you also must have the same exact configuration as the rest, dress in only black, become very ignorant/arrogant, belittle everyone else, follow a teaching that was developed for someone else in a different part of the world probably not even related to you and your diving and remove any gear and thought process that is not listed in the bible! Because if you don't - then you are a danger to yourself and all other divers around you and will surely die! :D

I plan I donating my primary, so there is really only one diver my octo needs to satisfy. And I want to make sure he is happy.eyebrow

You could do a lot worse than the little Sherwood octo Larry sell for $102. Those things have a reputation for being tough as steel. Or, if you're a little more adventurous and want an alternate air source that breathes great, there's always the Atomic SS1.

___

Just get yourself a good regulator, way to much thought is put into some of this. If you plan on attcking a 18,000 foot penetration into a cave system then buy the very best but for normal open water diving to 130 feet or so almost any modern regulator/octapus will do just fine. I think, if you mix brands, just make sure the IP is matched and the whole assembly of second stages and first stage are happy together. Good luck. N

Nemrod:
Just get yourself a good regulator, way to much thought is put into some of this. If you plan on attcking a 18,000 foot penetration into a cave system then buy the very best but for normal open water diving to 130 feet or so almost any modern regulator/octapus will do just fine. I think, if you mix brands, just make sure the IP is matched and the whole assembly of second stages and first stage are happy together. Good luck. N

I have to agree to a point but I would limit the depth to around 70 ft. Once you get beyond that a poor regulator really starts to show it's lack of breathability especially in a panicked diver situation.

I look at it quite simply. This is life support equipment. Would you ever walk in to go sky diving and ask for the cheapest bargain basement parachute they've got?

So based on that there is no reason you shouldn't be able to pick up a reasonably priced, good performing regulator and octo. I would suggest apeks atx 50 primary and atx 40 for the octo. Reasonably priced and apeks are absolutely bullet proof when properly maintained. Scuba Pro and Aqualung also make some great combinations as well. Keep asking questions, search the local lds and the not so local lds and see what they have to offer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom