Reg malfunction or diver error injures two - Lake Plansee, Austria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Google translation...
A diving accident occurred at the Plansee in Breitenwang on Sunday morning. The person concerned was taken to Murnau Hospital .

WIDE WANG. On Sunday, October 2nd a 59-year-old German from a diving group from Germany indicated during a dive in the Plansee that he had a problem. At that time he was at a depth of about 35 meters.

Showed up too quickly

When the German diver noticed that his regulator was no longer working, he showed his fellow divers this with a hand signal. a 48 year old tried to give him her second scuba regulator. However, the 59-year-old panicked and, accompanied by the 48-year-old, appeared far too quickly without taking the necessary breaks.

Arriving at the surface of the water, the 59-year-old was initially unresponsive. Both were pulled ashore. The 59-year-old received first aid at the scene of the accident. He was then flown to Murnau Hospital with the RK2. The 48-year-old was taken to the Reutte district hospital by ambulance. Both were hospitalized with undetermined injuries.

Is WIDE WANG a place or just a comment about the 59 year old by the reporter?
Lol,

The wonders of google translate.

In case anyone actually wants to know Breitenwang is a town in the Reutte valley. Looks like they were diving in Lake Plansee, which is next to the town. It's just under 1 km altitude.

Wide Wang is a bad Google translation. Breitenwang is the location. The article states that the driver pointed at his regulator indicating he had a problem. It does not specifically say the regulator had a fault.

The headline is extremely misleading. Sounds like the first diver ran out of air, panicked when offered an octo, and bolted. No real evidence of reg malfunction.

The headline is extremely misleading. Sounds like the first diver ran out of air, panicked when offered an octo, and bolted. No real evidence of reg malfunction.
Writing headlines is challenging. I try to keep them brief, interesting, but honest. The translated articles said "regulator was no longer working" so either it malfunctioned or the diver was foolish enough to run out of air at 35 meters, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt. A better reporter would have clarified if he tried his own alternate reg or if he indeed breathed the tank dry, but quality in journalism is but a dream.

Writing headlines is challenging. I try to keep them brief, interesting, but honest. The translated articles said "regulator was no longer working" so either it malfunctioned or the diver was foolish enough to run out of air at 35 meters, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt. A better reporter would have clarified if he tried his own alternate reg or if he indeed breathed the tank dry, but quality in journalism is but a dream.
You may recall I have a journalism background Don. Perhaps something like "German dive accident - regulator problems or diver error?" would have more adequately covered the possibilities.

And even though the translation might have said "regulator was no longer working," that doesn't mean it was correct or accurate and likely wasn't written by a diver to boot. (At least it didn't say he ran out of oxygen.) :wink:

You may recall I have a journalism background Don.
Not with my memory. Anyway, I made an adjustment. The 59-year-old diver obviously screwed up the shared ascent, so he may have screwed up earlier to cause the problem. We can only guess.

Back
Top Bottom